Reef Discussion

Cksrealm

Dec 3, 2012
Salinity level issues
Hi guys, I have been having some issues with my salinity levels, I have been continually topping p with NSW that's tested at 1.025 adding this to the tank and after a few hours I check it and get a reading of 1.022 to 1.021 I have continually doing top ups with nsw yet the salinity levels will not go above 1.022, ideally I want to get t 1.025 but not having much luck, is there anything that can be causing the salinity levels to be so low, they don't drop below 1.021 but I just can't them to stay at NSW levels.

I have noticed salt build up on my pipes etc in the sump so not sure if this is the reason but if so what would be causing this build p of salt outside the tank. Lighting?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Hey bud....200 L of DT water at 1.022 is going to take a lot of water at 1.025 to lift the value. You would have to do 100% water change to achieve 1.025.

Do you have an ATO using fresh water, if so, turn it off for a period and top off with seawater, your salinity should rise in time.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about 1.022 given your system, however 1.025 would be better, you'll get there.

Salt creep is normal, you can reduce by avoiding bubbles, splashing or water spilling onto surfaces like braces etc. usually salt creep does not affect salinity significantly, evaporation is the major cause of increased salinity.

If you haven't already got one, get yourself a refractometer, they're only 40 bucks or so and well worth it. I find it easier to maintain 35 ppm salt in lieu of salinity measurements.

Good luck with everything man. Cheers :)

Cksrealm

Dec 3, 2012
Thanks for th quick reply, I have been topping up with nsw for a large period of time to no avail, I'm wondering ifi should add some extra salt to the nsw and boost my top p to 1.030 and run that for a period of time to try and get an increase in salt.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Quick changes in salinity are not a good idea, and 1.022 is not a disaster. I assume you don't have ATO with fresh water, so your salinity will rise in time if you continue to top off manually with NSW.

Try to reduce salt creep too, sounds like this could be contributing if it is severe. Keep it clean as salt creep breeds more salt creep rather fast.

You could try to do a 50% water change, but a DT with 1.022 changed 50% with NSW at 1.025 is only going to increase salinity to 1.023 at best.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Are you using a swinging arm hydrometer (if yes throw it in the bin) or a refractometer? (if you don't have a refractometer get one - cheap as chips and will last you your entire life in the hobby). If it is a refractometer is it calibrated?

I'd be

1) Checking you instrument
2) Checking the level of the NSW