Reef Discussion

RVH082

Apr 11, 2014
Rust Coloured Algae
My tank has been running for 6 weeks or so and I have a problem with a rust coloured algae that's trying to take over. I'm keeping the glass clean but as for the rocks, well I'm not disturbing tank to do that is there anything I can do to reduce the unsightly algae or will it die off eventually?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
My tank has been running for 6 weeks or so and I have a problem with a rust coloured algae that's trying to take over. I'm keeping the glass clean but as for the rocks, well I'm not disturbing tank to do that is there anything I can do to reduce the unsightly algae or will it die off eventually?
It's probably diatoms Normal part if the cycling process. It will disappear on its own. Photo of it might help. Google it and there is tons of information about it. Good luck.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
not very long. maybe 2-3 weeks depends on the tank. the green hair can be next after Diatoms

were u get your rock from never seen LR look like that. don't look to bad

RVH082

Apr 11, 2014
not very long. maybe 2-3 weeks depends on the tank. the green hair can be next after Diatoms

were u get your rock from never seen LR look like that. don't look to bad
If I reduce light hours per day will that help at all?

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
For Diatoms just ride it out. even in mature tank if u turn a rock over that dont get exposed to light. diatoms will grow then die back.

For other nuisance algae some people do say to turn down light but all your really doing is releasing phosphate back into your aquarium. will grow back if the phosphate/nitrate isn't removed. but your not there yet your current problem will fix it self in time.

pretty much all tank have this phase just sit back, relax and enjoy the "extreme ultra rare grade" diatoms u got growing there that expensive u cant even give it away.

RVH082

Apr 11, 2014
I've just tested water and nitrates are between 0 and 5ppm, closer to 0 though. And ammonia is 0.1ppm. Today my water is a little cloudy also. I'm thinking a water change today. How much is a safe amount to change?

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
you don't want to change the parameters to quick but you can do anywhere from 1%-90% water change :P

id say 10-20% weekly/bi weekly is good to start with. if your getting ammonia id be doing 20% if not more but will would depend on your tank size

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Diatoms thrive on silica. Once they have consumed it all they will disappear (mostly) this is a natural cycle so just be patient.

Personally I did almost no water changes during cycling maybe 10% after 2 - 3 weeks and then another 10% 2 - 3 weeks later. Be patient and it will all sort itself out

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
as others have stated, you will get a diverse range of algae during the tank cycle. Each of these species has its place and will thrive and then die once they have exhausted the available nutrients. In a mature system, each of the algae species that is present during the cycle phase can be used as an 'indicator' as to tank 'health'/condition.

Take the time to appreciate each of the different types of algae, try to correlate them with tank condition (ie nutrient levels) and then use this info once the tank has matured.

Is all part of the learning process.