Tank Journal Archive

Nov 15, 2012
RSM-130D Mixed Reef a noobs adventure... And lots of Mods to come :)
Introduction: Hi, after spending some time looking into a custom solution I have decided to just upgrade my Aqua One AquaNano Marine 36 to another AIO. Unleash the RSM 130D :D. The game has changed a lot since I originally kept Marine in 2001-2004 (St George aquarium days...) and I have also forgotten a lot (many a beer consumed in this time...) So with that said I feel as though I am a newbie and my GF is a newbie and we are learning together. We are looking forward to this new journey and I hope you all enjoy it as well.

Re-Reefing Since: Aug-2012

System Objectives: Create as natural an environment as I can for stress free fish :)

Type of reef: Mixed

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 09 Dec 2012

Display Tank Dimensions: 2'x16"x20"

Display Lighting: Stock (thinking a custom Mod will happen here though :D)

Stand: RSM Totem Cabinet

Hood or Rimless: Hood for now

Sump Design: Built in sump... Many mods to happen here

Filtration:

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: Built in 2 x 600lph power heads also sump filter return, Will prob add an MP10

Return Pump: as above

Skimmer: stock RSM

Evaporation Top Up: None yet

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: Potentially later will be Easy as 1

Alkilinity Addition: Potentially later will be Easy as 2

Magnesium Addition: Potentially later will be Easy as 3

Prodibiotics Addition: ?

Coral Food Addition: ?

Nov 15, 2012
Also Live rock I got is covered in corals (think Zoos) I will post some pics when I get a chance... I hope they survive the cycle :(

Also @MTG was thinking Illumagic M-60S. Will prob strip it down to components and mod the hood to make it all work out :)

But maybe it will be a XR30W still not sure...

Nov 15, 2012
OK. Plan 1:

Has any one got experience with TECO Chillers? Mod 1 is use a TC5 Chiller/Heater, Eheim Comact 1000. so pump in tank chamber after skimmer, remove heater, use heater plug to power pump. pump -> Through tank chiller pass through attachment -> down through UV Filter -> inlet of TC5 -> outlet of TC5 back to tank.

Thoughts???

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Also Live rock I got is covered in corals (think Zoos) I will post some pics when I get a chance... I hope they survive the cycle :(

Also @MTG was thinking Illumagic M-60S. Will prob strip it down to components and mod the hood to make it all work out :)

But maybe it will be a XR30W still not sure...
i did a few test fits with a 60 over the top. all you will have to do is remove the internal lights and dremal a hole in the lid, then the light just sits over the hole and looked neat, some moding could get it inside the hood if you wanted to but i liked the idea of it sitting on top away from the water

Nov 15, 2012
i did a few test fits with a 60 over the top. all you will have to do is remove the internal lights and dremal a hole in the lid, then the light just sits over the hole and looked neat, some moding could get it inside the hood if you wanted to but i liked the idea of it sitting on top away from the water
Will look into this in the new year.

Nov 15, 2012
OK. So I have decided potentially the TECO TC10 Chiller/Heater/UV-C unit. and an Eheim Compact 1000 to supply the water. Any thoughts on this?

Nov 15, 2012
pricey lol
Indeed they are...

Just measuring up thinking it will have to be a TC5 with external UV filter.

The way I see it though is a few nice fish and Corals and you have a lot of value invested in your tank so It is a good investment IMO.

Looked at the chinese units and to be honest "I am to poor to be cheap", If i am going to spend the dollars it has to be something that will last.

Nov 15, 2012
OK. Progress update.

Tank has been wet for a week. No sign of the cycle yet :( Amonia had a little little very little spike tuesday but no measurable Nitrite or Nitrate... Been testing every 2 days...

Did a re-scape of the rock today. very happy with that :)

Purchased 2 Percula Clowns. LFS have had them in a tank for about 2-3mths and no one has bought them (Tank not connected to any others in the store... It is a coral tank and stand alone) they are holding them for me until mine is cycled and ready to accept fish. (Prob Jan as my cycle has not even started :(). They said if they host an anenome in there I could have it... (BTA)... Being perculas they will normally only host Magnifica nem's. but what do you know, next day i was there they where hosting it. (still not sure if I want it in my tank though)

Added a red line cleaner shrimp to my Nano 36 with rocky (Coral Goby)... Hoping he will do a little parasite control for me :)

I have had a new thought on the chiller. Have done a lot of reading. from what I have worked out there is slim to SFA chance of getting a Teco anytime soon so might go with a Hailea 130 chiller.

And my plumbing idea (and this is where i need input) is instead of having a pump in the tank, I will get a cheap 1000-1200Lph Basic canister filter no wool or foam in it just 3 shelves of LR rubble, maybe matrix, perigean, phosban or something than the return of this will go to inlet of chiller then outlet of chiller back to tank. then no need for in tank pump... Thoughts??? I am thinking the canister for the following reasons

1. No need for another pump in tank
2. Move stupid bag of carbon out of the area where the return pumps are as it keeps sucking up to the inlets of those and put in canister
3. possibly take the bio material out of that area as well and put it in the canister.

I feel it will be easier to maintain if it is in a canister filter in the cupboard rather than having to remove the damn return pumps every time you need to do something.

I have scraped the idea of a UV filter for now. Figure red line will help with parasite control and there is no point killing any good free floating bacteria.

Also Heater is on 25 and will set chiller to 27that way they wont continually fight each other...

Could I have a very minor cycle? As I think I said earlier Nearly all (If not all) the rock was well cycled and old and some was from my Nano tank. I don't think there is any really fresh in there...

Its covered in zoa's and I have a heap of other palm tree looking things in there.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
That is some quality live rock you have got there!!!! Nice scape aswell. I used to be the sales rep for Red Sea so any questions just ask. The cannister thru to the chiller is a good idea. Make sure the water flow isn't too fast as this will not give the chiller time to cool the water enough, I have heard that this is the case for chillers but have never run one myself (although have sold a but load as a sales rep!). Also as for media, I run my cannister as a means to use chemical filtration but some of the other guys may be able to advise there.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Now you'll have to rely on someone else, I've never used a chiller. Get away with the occasional aircon and fans in VIC ;)

Nov 15, 2012
Quick Update:

Added a Canister Filter 1000Lph and a HC-130A Chiller :)

Took a while for the temp to come down yesturday but is working well :)

Had LFS test water to make sure what I was getting was right. KH 8.8-9.0 (RS Pro Titration Test), Salinity 1.025 (Refractomoter), Amonia 0ppm (API), Nitrite 0ppm (API), Nitrate 0.50 (RS Nitrate Pro).

Changed 20L water 12Hrs before test at LFS, Added some Hermit Crabs, Collector/Decorator Erchin (Had a Black Erchin in there from Day 1 He is happy), Red Star (not sure where he is from just appeared :) ), and also some snails etc...

Canister has a 3W UV Filter built in. I ran it for a few hours last night then switched it off.

Thats all More to come :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hey mate you need to post pics of all these updates lol we need pictures in this game....words....wow they're so over rated :P

good to see things are coming along nicely, where did you get ur LR from? really life-a-licious and im jealous lol