Reef Discussion

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Rotifer culture on the blink
@Dr. Schell and whoever else would like to weigh in

Sorry to pick your brains on this one again, but we're still having issues. (And, no, I haven't set up your self-sustaining ones yet. We have no leaves/grass where we are, so I haven't gotten around to harassing family and friends for some lol)

Our density just isn't what we've seen it in the past.
Basically, we start a culture and either we get a boom for a few days and then it peters out, or it just stays fairly low density right from the start.

* We've tried SG from 1.018 - 1.025. For the last few months we've been keeping it around 1.019
* Sometimes we use the chlorinated/dechlorinated water. Other times we just run our NSW through some mesh (50micron)
* We've fed yeast, phyto, rotifer food from Reef Culture (both normal and concentrate) and now Rotifeast from Proaqua. With the latter, it's a combination of nannochloropsis and tetraselmis and the rots appear to be leaving the tet; the water never completely clears. It's always got a brown tinge that remains and the water is becoming contaminated quickly.
* We have a 14lt culture and remove 4lt (30%ish) daily and replace with fresh water.
* We keep the temp at around 25, but because they're in the garage, I've seen it fluctuate from 22 - 27 in a 24hr period.

Our density: approx 4/ml This number has been calculated by drawing up a few ml in a syringe and counting the rots in a 1ml section, and also by drawing up only one ml and counting them. Got the same number each time.

Is there anything above that you can see that we're obviously doing wrong?
I feel we're on the brink of losing them again and to be honest, I'm getting really annoyed. I'd just like them to work.

Cheers!
B

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
I can, but they're not very dense ;) So if you're after a raging culture, I'm not the person to ask at the moment ;)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No problems - I think I have a source in the State - I just need to get it organised.

To me, 4/ml is a raging culture :) I struggled to find any in a litre (but I don't really know what I am looking for or what to expect so that could explain things!!)..

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Little white things that swim freely in the water, change direction at random and are attracted to light :-D

In that case, kind sir, as our culture is raging, I'll offer you 1ml for the bargain price of one milllllllion dollars :-D lol

Nah, you're welcome to some any time :-) for free, that is ;-)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks for the offer Bek - the free one not the one million dollar one :p

My needs are a bit more urgent unfortunately - my clowns laid another nest yesterday, 5 days earlier than expected.

If I get things organised I might be able to supply you with some.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
have a look that your culture has not been infested wth other microorganisms. If you co-culure the rotifers with Brineshrimp, the 2 organsims seem to both genefit from the interaction. May need to re-culture/start the rotifers at reduced intervals. Remember that dense cultures produce alot of waste that can quickly polute a culture. Once the cultue gets beyond a certian point, the rotifers will cease produceing female offsepring and will start producing males.Sexual reporduction will then occur that will cause a crash. However, use the sediment in th sludge in the bottom to re-start a culture of 'super resilient' rotifers.

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
I agree with Dr. Schell, if you have used NSW, then I'd check for contamination.

Most peoples culture crash from over feeding, lack of water changes, or contamination.
Your water change routine is fine, so that only leaves two things, over feeding is easy to fix, cut the food in half for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

You could also try removing the heater, in my experience the Rotifers don't need the heater, and the higher temps just make things go bad quicker if you do overfeed.

Hope this helps,
Dave

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Dave001 - sort of on topic :)

I was talking to someone yesterday who has been involved with breeding seahorses on a commercial basis. She had not heard of feeding rotifers on yeast - she thought the particle size would be too big for them. Any comments ?

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
Don't tell that to my rotifers, they've been living on yeast for about a year now. :)

Yeats needs to be wet, you can't feed it dry, I add 2 tablespoons of yeast to 250ml of RO water, and store it in the fridge.

Of course yeast fed rotifers have no nutritional value, and need to be enhanced before feeding to fry.
I normally keep 2x 20L cultures, I sieve 12L of water from the two containers, transfer the rotifers into a 2L bottle full of phyto and have rotifers ready to feed to fry in 4-6hrs (I normally leave them over night). If I wasn't using yeast, I'd need 6L of phyto a day to feed the rotifers, instead of 2L, and would still only achieve the same result.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I have no experience with Rotts, but have you tried raising them in Sea salt without all the extra elements in the water.
I bought some Aqua Sonic salt the other day for my Brine Shrimp . Said to be 99% salt . The stuff is cheap as.... I did this as I heard Brine Shrimp don't like Iodine .
Good luck with it.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the rotifers will live quite happily in reduced strength salt water (ie lower salinities). however you must ensure that they are not exposed suddenly to different strength salt solutions as they will go into 'shock' and will promptly die.