Tank Journal Archive

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Rocks slice of reef
Introduction:
Well after being coaxed into it I'll finally start a tank journal here. Just so everythings clear this particular nano is just a holding tank (and extremely basic) while I finish modding the old one (Aquaworld TL-450 65L). I'll update this thread with the new info when I finally finish it. Admittedly I let the TL-450 go for a bit, and had a couple things perish (I'm not happy about that one) but now I'm back on the bandwagon with more funds to come back with this nano better then ever.

Reefing Since: 2006-8?

System Objectives: Just to have something that looks nice, keeps my kids in check, and a conversation piece when visitors come over lol

Type of reef: Mixed Softies and LPS

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 14th Nov 2011 (tank transfer date)

Display Tank Dimensions: Standard 2ft (60cmx30cmx30cm)

Display Lighting: 6x24w T5HO (1 Fiji Purple, 1 Blue Plus, 2 x 10k, 2 x ATI actinics)

Stand: Tall boy dresser for now

Hood or Rimless: No hood, light fitting on legs

Sump Design: NA

Filtration: Reef Octopus BH-100 modded hang on skimmer or the Dymax mini (still deciding which one is the quietest)

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: 1 cheap JVP 3000Lph, 1000Lph pump with Hydor flow deflector replica

Return Pump: NA

Skimmer: RO BH-100 modded hang on skimmer or the Dymax mini (still deciding which one is the quietest)

Evaporation Top Up: Auto (finally finished it, write up to come)

Other Equipment: Temp controller controlling 50w Jager heater and a small desk fan

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: Manually dosing red sea

Alkalinity Addition:

Magnesium Addition:

Prodibiotics Addition:

Coral Food Addition:

Finally some pics of the Aiptasia farm lol:

Theres a Nem in there somewhere but he's still in hiding.

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Nano_20Reef_202_DSC06836.jpg

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Nano_20Reef_202_DSC06837.jpg

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Nano_20Reef_202_DSC06831.jpg

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Nano_20Reef_202_DSC06838.jpg

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Nano_20Reef_202_DSC06840.jpg

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Nano_20Reef_202_DSC06841_1.jpg

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I originally wanted to keep the TL-450 BB. But the mrs didn't like the look of a tank with no substrate so sand was added. As this is just a holding tank for now, I didn't really see the point of adding sand that will be disturbed (hopefully) soon. This is my 2nd BB tank, so I know the maintenance involved and what I need to add to it (more flow to keep detritus suspended for a start). I have two tanks on the build/rebuild atm, so flipping funds between them and this one shouldn't be too much of a headache, provided nothing major pops up.
The hood on the TL-450 has been retrofitted with 24 3w LEDs and I've picked up some Meanwell drivers to swap out the current ones, or use on the new tank. Still trying to decide which way I'm going to go.

PS: About the missing light leg lol. Lost a mounting bolt for it, so I'm going to head off the a bolt and nut shop to try and pick up some replacement bolts. Just in case anyone notices it and was wondering why.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Go to bigw and get some black contact (the stuff you wrap your school books in) and stick it on the back and bottom of the tank... It looks a heap better than the plain glass... Nice tank though :D

V

'vspec'

Looks like an aust aquariums 2fter.

What is all them wires bud, if I didn't know any better, I would have said your transferring its consciousness the internet.

Bunnings also have a decent range of contact wrap. Boyle industries supply bunnings for most their craft gear I believe.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
lol are you talking about the wires all around the back? Well there's the temp controller on top and that has 4 cables (temp probe, power, fan, heater), 2 powerheads, protein skimmer, back up temp probe as well. Running 2 of them, and I use the average mark between them to determine the tank temp. Thats not so bad. At one stage there was 4 on the TL-450 lol

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I really need to update this now. I'll do that in the morning as this tank was shut down this week. Everything has been transferred to the new tank so I'll start a new TJ very soon.