Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Rocks Algae Eater
When I had my Yellow Tang, my live rocks are SUPER CLEAN! it would graze it.

But now since it's gone, I can start seeing things growing on the surface of the rocks.

My question is what fish should I get that will graze the algae on these live rocks?

Is there any other species (like Yellow Tang) with peaceful temperament and able to live in 55 gallons tank?

agraphics8.nytimes.com_images_2009_08_12_business_energy_environment_hand.480.jpg

Nautynigel

Oct 26, 2014
Strathfield
I HAD (he jumped out of my tank on the weekend) a Lawnmower blenny called Victor.... I wouldnt say he was spectacular at cleaning my algae but he was not bad... Other people have had better luck but i hear they are a bit hit and miss sometimes

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I wouldn't put a tang in 55 gallons. I have an algae blenny that I originally thought was a lawnmower and he does about as much work as one turbo snail, so jack all really. Try a small angelfish such as a Coral Beauty or Flame. They love to pick algae from the rocks and will eat a variety of algaes.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I wouldn't put a tang in 55 gallons. I have an algae blenny that I originally thought was a lawnmower and he does about as much work as one turbo snail, so jack all really. Try a small angelfish such as a Coral Beauty or Flame. They love to pick algae from the rocks and will eat a variety of algaes.
Angel is a hit and miss with corals, do they?

Do they like to eat LPS or Softies?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
My Coral Beauties have been in the tank for a few months now and they haven't touched my corals. I have a couple LPS and mostly softies, zoanthids and morphs.

E

ezza

Good thread! I have almost zero luck with fish eating algae. Maybe I just don't see it happen. My lawnmower is FAT so he is eating something. How many lawnmowers can go in a 450L tank? Maybe I should add more. My blue tang picks at algae- but I need something too that will Hoover it up. I have noticed a type of snail I believe to be a "false limpet" that scours the rocks free of algae- the only problem has been finding more of them. Hopefully as the water warms up I'll find something other than black periwinkles at the beach.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Good thread! I have almost zero luck with fish eating algae. Maybe I just don't see it happen. My lawnmower is FAT so he is eating something. How many lawnmowers can go in a 450L tank? Maybe I should add more. My blue tang picks at algae- but I need something too that will Hoover it up. I have noticed a type of snail I believe to be a "false limpet" that scours the rocks free of algae- the only problem has been finding more of them. Hopefully as the water warms up I'll find something other than black periwinkles at the beach.
That is interesting @ezza the Yellow Tang that I had, did it so well in my 55g tank.

That is why I am contemplating of getting another one but then I do not want to repeat the same mistake.

What sort of algae does lawnmower Blenny typically eats? the one on the rocks surface? Is it usually being picky on what typical of algae they are?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
My Coral Beauties have been in the tank for a few months now and they haven't touched my corals. I have a couple LPS and mostly softies, zoanthids and morphs.
Thanks @Agent M Coral Beauties is definitely on my list, along with perhaps Lawnmower Blenny,

I need an aggressive algae eater (aggressive being greedy in eating algae but peaceful in personality) ... so all CUC is not favored ... they are usually slow, no matter which CUC they are ...

I had seaweed clip that I purchased for my Tang before .... do Coral Beauties eat seaweeds from a clip?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I wouldn't have a Flame angel in a reef, the Coral Beauty is about as safe as they get. I have 2 on order for M and I. Lawnmower blennys are best kept 1 to a tank unless you know for a fact that they're a pair. You could mix different species, but they should be added at the same time. The only ones I would steer clear of are the Orange Spot blennys, I've had shit luck with them. There are quite a few different types out there, I just don't know what's available there.