Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Rhodactus Blow Up Like A Balloon?!
What's happening. I can't get a pick because I am on my phone. But it's folded in on its self and blown up like a balloon in the past like 5 mins... The one next to it is 100% fine?!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
It's probably eating something.

I have some mushrooms that won't eat anything I give them and others that love to eat. Yours is probably an eater. You should become a "feeder" and your rhodacti will produce rapidly.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I have a Saint Thomas rhodactis that closes up to feed, just leaves it's toxic coloured bubble hanging out.

Really looks like an alien hemoroid!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Just be aware that those Giant Cup mushrooms WILL eat fish, they're fast too. I lost a small Atlantic pygmy angel to one once. I don't know if they're available down there, but they are as bad as a regular anemone.

Really. I didn't realise that. They are considered a safe non aggressive coral aren't they?
It doesn't surprise me that bigger cup mushrooms would eat small fish. I've watched my ric eat mysis that drops on it. It's so very cool to watch.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The one I had was 25-30cm across. The Cherub wasn't the only thing I lost, several gobies, blennies and a CB butterfly. They're very fast and I have a suspicion that they have larger nematocysts than other cnidarians.