Reef Discussion

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Review: Ink Bird Itc-306t Temperature Controller
Ink Bird ITC-306T Temperature Controller

I was sent an Ink Bird ITC-306T Temperature Controller at the request of the manufacturer and asked to provide a review of the item. Despite being a freebie, I'll provide an honest opinion.

General outline: The ITC-306T handles heating only, it doesn't do cooling (so ignore the Cooling option on the picture in the link below). It has a timer function so you can run different temps between day and night if required.

The box: The box was appropriately sized, well packed and looked professional unlike some of the generic Chinese product we see on the market.

Shipping: I received the item within a couple of days of agreeing to review it. It was shipped within Australia, so there was product in the country ready to go.

Build quality: Out of the box, I was surprised at the build quality - it was sturdy enough, and of better quality than I was expecting. The cable quality is more than adequate, and comes with insulated Australian plugs. There is a mount lug on the top of the unit, and a couple of mount points on the back of the outlet so it too can be mounted if required. Main unit is a fraction large, but it does have pretty decent sized display, so if you like to be able to see the tank temp from a distance, or don't handle small displays, then this is a plus. No idea if its electrically certified to use here, but certainly it looks like it would (obviously if that's of concern to you, do your due diligence)

The Manual: The manual is surprisingly well written, certainly a lot better and legible than the usual poor photocopied translations we normally receive. You don't really need it for long.

Operation: Pretty straight forward - set your temp and off you go. You can calibrate it if the temps are a little out, etc. Fairly obvious stuff once you use it.

My experience: Out of the box I plugged it in, set it then moved it. The settings vanished - as it turns out if I had read the manual properly first, I'd have realised that the unit contains a capacitor that needs time to charge before it can store settings.
Once hooked up to my tank, I found the temp to be about 1C higher than the reading I was getting from my Seneye, at about 5cm from it. I calibrated the ITC-306T to about the same temp, then monitored it - so far its been about where it should be.

Overall: Honestly, I was expecting something pretty budget. What I received was a retail product, well packaged, sent and received quickly, with good instructions, was easy to use, and does exactly what it says it does. If you need a controller that's completely self contained, and doesn't require any 240V DIY (like the popular STC-1000s), then this is a great alternative. Retails for about $50, but the dealer is offering a discount to the group for $42.49 with free postage.The link tells you its for a FB promo (on Victorian Marine Aquariuim Buy Swap Sell actually), but no reason you can't take them up on that offer anyway.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the product or manufacturer; I have done no due diligence on the product; I've provided nothing more than my honest opinion of the product.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223255771991

Attachments

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
if it doesn't do cooling, what is the second outlet used for?
Once the house cools down enough, I'll check the second socket to see if it does power for the heater as well; heating is usually more of an issue me for me, so dual heater outputs has an advantage (though currently running only running one as the 300w Ehiem I'm using seems to be doing better than 2 x 300 generic heaters I used to use). Personally never liked running chillers on controllers as it seems to me that it might be a little harsh on the electronics.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Not in the manual; possibly an oversight on their part given their doco is otherwise surprisingly detailed. Still too warm for me to test both outlets just at the moment to see if they both run when it triggers.