Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Remove Anemone From Rock
Hey everyone,
I am in the process of restarting my tank and won't be using any of my existing rock.
What is the best way to get my Anemone off of it's rock? It is a Heteractis Crispa Anemone and is around 40cm in diameter.
I have had it for about 2.5 years now, with the last two having it's foot attached to the same spot.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
It depends on whether or not the foot is deep in any crevices but if not, I would put protective gloves on and use a credit card to tickle and lever up the edge of the foot a bit at a time. Give it time to retract its foot away from the object and you will avoid any tearing. When the foot retracts the edge thickens and makes it easier to lever up. It may take you up to 10 minutes so might be a good idea to pour some water over the anemone once or twice during the process.

If the foot is deep in a crevice of the rock I would break the rock up to give yourself access to the foot and use a combination of breaking the rock and the credit card trick.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I've used @Agent M credit card trick many times only BTA's and worked a treat. If not, try hanging the rock upside down in the tank or something and maybe it will get annoyed and detach itself???

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Same as above. I have also used the flat side of a sushi chopstick, for small crevices.
Ice on a plastic bag also works like a charm, if you can't remove the rock.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the replies :) I have pretty good access to its foot so I will give a card a go first.
@macca_75 I think the Anemone would weigh a decent amount hanging from the rock so I would be a bit concerned about something ripping. Unless it lets go pretty much straight away?

I won't be doing this for about 3 weeks so I will let you know how it goes!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks for the replies :) I have pretty good access to its foot so I will give a card a go first.
@macca_75 I think the Anemone would weigh a decent amount hanging from the rock so I would be a bit concerned about something ripping. Unless it lets go pretty much straight away?

I won't be doing this for about 3 weeks so I will let you know how it goes!
I meant hang the rock upside in water - the anemone wouldn't actually weigh that much submerged.