Reef Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
Reefsecrets - Misleading Pricing? - False
A MESSAGE FROM THE REEFUGE -
Please be aware that the following information is not correct and the thread has remained up for discussion.

I went to place an order with Reefsecrets Qld (online) tonight & just as I was about to pay I realised that GST was being added to all the quoted prices, including freight. This is both disappointing & illegal. I worked for a multinational who were successfully prosecuted for this very thing in Australia.

I thought it worth warning people to check all sites before committing to payment. I have sent this vendor a message also.
From the ACCC website:

Component pricing

When you present prices to your customers, you must state the total price of the good or service as a single figure, which is the minimum total cost that is able to be calculated. This should include any tax, duty, fee, levy or other additional charges (e.g. GST or airport tax). This rule generally does not apply in business-to-business transactions. This means you do not need to include GST if a price statement is made exclusively to businesses.

You do not need to include optional charges or extras or delivery charges – unless you are aware of a minimum delivery charge that must be paid in which case you can chose whether to include it in the total price or as a separate component.

If you promote a price that is only part of the total price, the total price must also be displayed at least as prominently as the part price. This means that customers should be able to identify the total price in the advertisement just as easily as prices for all the other aspects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Wow. Thank you for that info. Very interesting. I didn't have a clue it's was illegal. I went to order something on there the other day & didn't end up finishing my transaction. Will double check before I pay !

Billy O'Brien

Feb 5, 2015
Thanks Ian
Will be double checking every order from now on. Had no idea things like this were happening , it's pretty sad companies are trying to apply ridiculous rates to us poor hobbyist

E

ezza

That's dodgy. As an aside, the excerpt posted has a spelling error. Stupid twits not checking their text before uploading it. "Chose" should be "choose".

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Ian is there any chance it was just a problem with his website? How did Darren reply?

I know retailers (not wholesalers) are meant to show prices incl. gst, but am genuinely surprised if this is occurring at RS.

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
Ian is there any chance it was just a problem with his website? How did Darren reply?

I know retailers (not wholesalers) are meant to show prices incl. gst, but am genuinely surprised if this is occurring at RS.
I haven't had a reply as yet as it happened last night. I posted the warning to prevent others being caught.

If it is a problem though, I have been telling him the website is playing up for a week and he just brushes it off saying the only known issues are with chrome. I don't use chrome & this was the last straw for me.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
it is also illegal ( or was at least) for restaurants etc to charge public holiday surcharges but many of them do.

Henry G

Oct 9, 2012
Brisbane
uploaded a bunch of PDF's taken from the website today... As you can see on the item page it shows the Purchase Price for the product with the EX GST price below it. Then the shopping cart shows the added GST on top of the Purchase price....

Attachments

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Damn, those Assessor basslets are 120 quid here. :(

OK, I have a question about the GST. If I have my visa am I liable for that when we come? I know I am not when I go to Canada.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Damn, those Assessor basslets are 120 quid here. :(

OK, I have a question about the GST. If I have my visa am I liable for that when we come? I know I am not when I go to Canada.
yes you will pay GST for all purhases with the exception of food, however the GST is amortized in the sale price so you dont need to add 10% when paying bill.

Henry G

Oct 9, 2012
Brisbane
yes you will pay GST for all purhases with the exception of food, however the GST is amortized in the sale price so you dont need to add 10% when paying bill.
however Rob may get the GST back on some purchases upon leaving the country again(If you do that is). But that's way outside my knowledge bank...

I went to place an order with Reefsecrets Qld (online) tonight & just as I was about to pay I realised that GST was being added to all the quoted prices, including freight. This is both disappointing & illegal. I worked for a multinational who were successfully prosecuted for this very thing in Australia.

I thought it worth warning people to check all sites before committing to payment. I have sent this vendor a message also.
From the ACCC website:

Component pricing

When you present prices to your customers, you must state the total price of the good or service as a single figure, which is the minimum total cost that is able to be calculated. This should include any tax, duty, fee, levy or other additional charges (e.g. GST or airport tax). This rule generally does not apply in business-to-business transactions. This means you do not need to include GST if a price statement is made exclusively to businesses.

You do not need to include optional charges or extras or delivery charges – unless you are aware of a minimum delivery charge that must be paid in which case you can chose whether to include it in the total price or as a separate component.

If you promote a price that is only part of the total price, the total price must also be displayed at least as prominently as the part price. This means that customers should be able to identify the total price in the advertisement just as easily as prices for all the other aspects.

this is not FACT...

From the ACCC website:

Component pricing

From the ACCC website:

Component pricing

this post should be re titled as IAN MISLEADING Reef Secrets customers

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

I think screenshots would be the best in this situation. I took a quick look at the Reef Secrets website, and as far as I can tell they do indeed include GST in their display prices, as well as a breakup of pricing at checkout. As far as I can tell, the pricing display is correct. Before this thread heads south, can you please post screenshots @Ian3145 so you can show the rest of the community exactly where you believe Reef Secrets is misleading their customers?

Thanks.

Henry G

Oct 9, 2012
Brisbane
yes, I see my own mistake. The GST displayed upon checkout is the total GST included in the prices. The Pre-GST figure above is confusing because you first assume its the total of the products in the cart, where the total is actually the INC GST price below.

Status
Not open for further replies.