News

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Reef Secrets Competition
Reef secrets ( @Reefsecretsaquariums ) have kindly offered a prize of 250Ml amino acids.

All you have to do is simply post a pic of something in your tank, pic must be no older than 2 weeks, and the pic with the most likes by Sunday 22/2 wins!!!

Doesn't get any simpler than that, so get snapping and posting.

Good luck and thanks to Reef secrets for your donation.
:worship

http://www.reefsecrets.com.au

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ezza

image.jpg

I am going to post for you something a little different. Not for likes, it's just super interesting. When I first set up my aquarium, a bunch of unique creatures became an essential part of my tank. They live on the rocks and this one in particular has gone from a tiny little bump the size of the tip of your finger to this quite large animal which is a few centimeters tall and wide now. I have communities of these guys throughout all parts of my system.

They are called Ascidians, or Sea Squirts. I got really excited reading my Great Barrier Reef book recently when there was a whole section devoted to the work scientists carry out on Ascidians. They are one of the oldest life forms on Earth. They are actually an animal, with a nervous system, heart and blood. The group of animals comprising the domain "Chordata" are invertebrates, Ascidians belong in this group, as do mammals, amphibians, reptiles etc. the Ascidian is the animal linking invertebrates with vertebrates.

It blows my mind to think that these little lumps that squeeze into rock like balls when touched, and squirt water at you if they are uncovered and you poke them start life as a wee tadpole thingy, then they settle, look a lot like a snotty lump, and begin to develop those two valve endings and that round belly.

I am wondering how big "Old Yeller" will get. I never imagined it would grow as big as it has now. They are amazing animals. I recommend exploring your system to see if you have any camouflaged against the rock or in your sump, or just out in the open like this one.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/ascidians-urochordata

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Geez @Sam Parker - that's me stuffed now....lol I don't think people named Sam Parker should be able to enter...banned for life from any photography competitions urghhh !!!!! lol. Beautiful photo & colours !
Make it no moderators allowed :rofl

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Aw come on, moderators are never allowed - let me play just once!!!

**EDIT** Should I use my moderator power to remove your post Buddy??? hahahahahaha
Stop spamming the topic, you know better than that lmao