New To Reefing

Damo84

Apr 18, 2016
Reef Rack Build
Hi all,
I have been away for a long time and im ready to come back after a disaster with a Nano.
I have rack that has 2x 90x50x35 and a sump with a maximum volume of 420L, they are both running on the same sump system.
The plan is to have a reef and a fowlr running does anyone see a problem with this?
I also am looking at 2 jebao WP25 per tank is this over kill?
For a skimmer the marine sources RDC 850 internal because of the footprint.
Here is a picture with current inhabitants
20160416_143026.jpg

20160416_143034.jpg

Please if every one can help with equiptment choices and any advice that would be great.

When the build begins i will get a journal going.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Is your FOWLR going to be a predator tank?

From the very little I know about predator tanks (and it is very little), I think you might have trouble. 'If' the FOWLR is heavily fed (as predators need) you risk the shared sump injecting huge amounts of waste into your reef tank. If The FOWLR is to be lightly fed (ie breeding tank) you might be okay.

I'm sure someone with more experience in this will chime in.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Ian is right, two displays with one Sump can certainly work, it just means that your one sump is working twice as hard. Add to that a heavy bio load and I can foresee some issues. Nothing that couldn't be managed though

Damo84

Apr 18, 2016
Ok so no it was just going to be fish that are not reef safe. Im looking at the Marine Sources RDC850 it is rated for 850L this is just about double the water capacity. Do you think that will do the trick?

Damo84

Apr 18, 2016
So it could be in the top tank? It doesnt have to be in the middle? Im kind of keen to try that.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I guess it doesn't matter.

Have you considered a cascade where water travels from the top tank into the middle tank and then to the sump? If so, then a fishless tank in the top could support pods and other food that then flow down into the fish fishtank.

Maybe you could use the system to keep harder to keep fish that rely on pods etc???

Damo84

Apr 18, 2016
Yep that's how the whole system is plumbed the return runs to the top tank then overflows to the middle then into the sump.
So reef only on top reef with fish middle sounds good. Now just waiting for pay day to order my skimmer and power heads.