Reef Discussion

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Redline Shrimps Stealing The Coral Food
Ok, so I have a problem. Two rogue, redline shrimps who have no manners and who steal food from the poor starving goniapora. Short of choking the redlines off, sending them to bed early or taking their toys off them, its difficult to punish them. :)

The problem is that the goni really needs to be fed. Each time I try and feed him, the two redlines, and the peppermints as well, (the band of merry thieves) jump on the goni and steal the food. I've tried putting a cut down 2L coke bottle top over the goni and that does keep the shrimps off but the problem with that is that the goni is big and the bottle, even though 2L, only fits over the goni if it is retracted.

I've tried feeding the shrimps and fish first but apparently the shrimps are starving to death and still steal anything else going. The coke bottle is too small and I don't quite know wheat else to do to let this poor goni eat in peace.

Ideas desperately welcomed before the two redlines get a cuff round their collective ears. :)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
This is unfortunately just a part of having shrimps in your tank. Can you distract the shrimp with some food away from the Goni? What are you feeding the Goni?

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
I've tried distracting them with food but apparently the goni has better food than they do the shrimps tell me. :)

Feeding the goni lobster eggs, krill, mysid, rotifers and a general variety of small foods.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
You will need to find something to shield the goni from the shrimps - have a look in the kitchen section of your local $2 shop

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
I'm thinking I might buy a fish trap, train the shrimps to go in that and feed the goni while they stay in that for an hour or so.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I think unfortunately that you're gonna have to decide what you love the most, your Goni or your shrimp.

It's the sad truth I'm afraid....

My redliners were absolutely stunning, but in the end I sold them as they were both really bad at stealing food from my corals, particularly my Fungia. Not only that, but they were not gentle in pulling food out and I reckon I lost two Fungia due to them.

I did try whacking the shrimp with a rod to keep them away and that does work, cause they learn to keep away, but it means you have to stand there during every feed while your corals slowly consume. And, even then, the buggers might come around later even when your corals are fully closed and pull out food.

Cheers,
Glenn

Last edited:

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
But, is that for every coral?

I was feeding numerous mushrooms corals and fungias and other things that take a long time to consume food. My shrimp would only eat a little bit of each piece of food and then move on to the next corals ad pull out what it had.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The last pair of Red Lines I had killed a bubble coral, so there will be no more of them in my tank. Try giving them a larger piece of food to keep them distracted, frozen silversides work well for it. I NEVER see my Peppermint shrimp until it's coral feeding night, then he's is out and about like he owns the tank, lol.