New To Reefing

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Recommended Method For Adding Sump Baffle Without Removing Sump
Hello Everyone,

I am considering adding an extra baffle in my sump to experiment with a particular idea. The current chamber I am thinking of splitting is roughly 60W x 30D x 35H cm. Want to split it roughly in half.

Don't particularly want to completely remove the sump from the system. Ideally would like to shut down the overflow, drain most of the water from the sump, but leave it in place under the tank. Then silicone in a partition, wait until it cures, then restart the system.

Is this possible? Any fish safe silicone that can be applied when the area is wet or even slightly underwater?

Thanks for any wisdom shared. J

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Why not remove all the water? With a wet/dry vac you will be able to get it nice and dry and give your silicon the best chance of working.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Don't have a wet dry vac. Would love to buy one and can see how useful it would be, but no place to store it when not in use. Too much other tank related stuff to store!

If anyone happens to read this who might be able to lend or rent me one for a week, would be most appreciative. I am located in Sydney's inner west. Thanks.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Don't have a wet dry vac. Would love to buy one and can see how useful it would be, but no place to store it when not in use. Too much other tank related stuff to store!

If anyone happens to read this who might be able to lend or rent me one for a week, would be most appreciative. I am located in Sydney's inner west. Thanks.
Maybe able to hire one from say bunnings?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Silicone glue will cure underwater, it just takes longer and I am not sure if the curing process can harm livestock...
I have done exactly what you are trying to do, half empty sump and added a baffle. It resulted in a very messy and ugly job :p
I would suggest drying it completely to apply the glue, let it cure dry for 2hs and the add water again.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Silicone will cure underwater but will not bond to any wet surfaces. It may still seal because it can form a nice tight rubber gasket of sorts but will not actually bond.

Make sure its dry first. I emptied my old sump by syphoning 90% out and soaking the rest up with towels. A wet vac would have been nice but can do it without.