Reef Discussion

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Recent Huge Increase In Rodi Top-off Consumption?
Hello Everyone,

In the last week my tank's consumption of RODI top-off water has skyrocketed. I have a Tunze ATO (which has been one of the best tank investments for me, btw) and my ATO reservoir is a 22kg salt bucket. System has worked well since the tank went online almost a year ago (just realised it is actually my tank's one year anniversary tomorrow!).

In the last week I have been forced to refill my bucket every day. The tank is using 3/4-4/5 of it daily. Similar time last year I was only having to refill it every 2-2.5 days. More recently, over the last few months, it was only every 3-4 days.

Not sure what has changed, so hoping for some shared wisdom from you guys. My newbie thoughts are it could be a combination of (or none of):

* change of weather in Sydney, ie. been significantly colder for more than a few days straight

* tank is running a bit cooler by about a degree than normal because one of my two heaters is dying and not pulling its weight. Need to replace it ASAP.

* about 2 weeks ago I had one of my wavemakers stop. I removed the head, cleaned it up with vinegar and it started right up again. When I replaced the head I may have changed the angle slightly. There seems to be slightly more surface agitation than before, but I am not 100% certain.

Could any or all of these things be contributing factors?

TIA for any wisdom shared.

J

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
IMO points 1 and 3 are what is contributing to the increased evaporation. I am in the same boat; just last week, my res lasted a week before filling it up, this week, it lasted 3 days before I had to top it up.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I suspect that you have already identified the answer yourself :)

Colder weather in Sydney - does that mean you have turned on a room heater? Most heaters will dry the air - a great place to replenish that moisture is from your tank.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I suspect that you have already identified the answer yourself :)

Colder weather in Sydney - does that mean you have turned on a room heater? Most heaters will dry the air - a great place to replenish that moisture is from your tank.
+ the increased difference in temp.

Surface agitation from point 3 will also be doing it - but keep it that way. Much better for the tank in terms of oxygen exchange.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Thanks Az, MJ, macca, Nils for the prompt replies. Had an inkling I was on the right track with my thinking after my prior research, but still a newb in my reefing journey and always good to consult the experts. Thanks.

For completeness,

* In answer to MJ's question - at the moment we only turn the room heater on for 20min in the morning when my girls first get out of bed to remove the chill from the air, then so far it hasn't had to come on for the rest of the day.

* In answer to macca's comment - yes, will be keeping the current head position and therefore amount of surface agitation

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Thanks Az, MJ, macca, Nils for the prompt replies. Had an inkling I was on the right track with my thinking after my prior research, but still a newb in my reefing journey and always good to consult the experts. Thanks.

For completeness,

* In answer to MJ's question - at the moment we only turn the room heater on for 20min in the morning when my girls first get out of bed to remove the chill from the air, then so far it hasn't had to come on for the rest of the day.

* In answer to macca's comment - yes, will be keeping the current head position and therefore amount of surface agitation
In winter we have a tendency to close up the house causing a build up of CO2 - be aware that this affects the ph of your tank. I leave cross flow ventilation as much as possible at night and open the place right up during the day. The things we do for the fish.

E

ezza

Hello Everyone,

In the last week my tank's consumption of RODI top-off water has skyrocketed. I have a Tunze ATO (which has been one of the best tank investments for me, btw) and my ATO reservoir is a 22kg salt bucket. System has worked well since the tank went online almost a year ago (just realised it is actually my tank's one year anniversary tomorrow!).

In the last week I have been forced to refill my bucket every day. The tank is using 3/4-4/5 of it daily. Similar time last year I was only having to refill it every 2-2.5 days. More recently, over the last few months, it was only every 3-4 days.

Not sure what has changed, so hoping for some shared wisdom from you guys. My newbie thoughts are it could be a combination of (or none of):

* change of weather in Sydney, ie. been significantly colder for more than a few days straight

* tank is running a bit cooler by about a degree than normal because one of my two heaters is dying and not pulling its weight. Need to replace it ASAP.

* about 2 weeks ago I had one of my wavemakers stop. I removed the head, cleaned it up with vinegar and it started right up again. When I replaced the head I may have changed the angle slightly. There seems to be slightly more surface agitation than before, but I am not 100% certain.

Could any or all of these things be contributing factors?

TIA for any wisdom shared.

J

I am married to a meteorologist. We're in a period of low atmospheric moisture now. There is simply greater evaporation due to that.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'm at a point where I'm going from 20L to around 40L a week.... (that's just my DT and two frag tanks) and haven't quite adjusted to remembering to manually refill my ATO res from the larger 175L RO holding tank that feeds it (yeah yeah, automation and all.. but 45L on the shed floor is better than 200L if something goes pairshaped)... and found my heavily pregnant other half going nuts about some beeping at 4am this morning :P