Reef Discussion

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
As I've never used it, what should I be looking for?

I've had mainly soft corals before so it wasn't much of an issue but I'm re-doing the tank for a more lps environment, moving into sps later.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I think if it has a "fragrance" it would be an issue.

I have some older bags at home so I can post the MDS/purity table tonight if it helps.

Pommie

Sep 3, 2015
Hi all,

Ive just converted from using Redsea Foundation supplements to Randys Recipe 2.

I know the strength of the red sea stock i,e for Ca 1ml/100L will raise by 2ppm.
Q. What does thr Randy Ca Recipe 2 raise by?

I'm currently dosing 16ml of Ca in my 600ltr tank and would like to know what the equivalent would be for recipe 2.

Is this information for all solutions available somewhere?

Thanks

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Hi all,

Ive just converted from using Redsea Foundation supplements to Randys Recipe 2.

I know the strength of the red sea stock i,e for Ca 1ml/100L will raise by 2ppm.
Q. What does thr Randy Ca Recipe 2 raise by?

I'm currently dosing 16ml of Ca in my 600ltr tank and would like to know what the equivalent would be for recipe 2.

Is this information for all solutions available somewhere?

Thanks
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
Choose your recipe in the drop down menu and play around with it and you should be able to figure it out.

Pommie

Sep 3, 2015
Hi, I checked that but it only provides figures if you need to raise your parameters not maintain them.

my Ca sits at 450 and i want it to sit at 450 and no results are provided.

I did try by entering raise it to 451 and it spat out that i will need 32ml dialing dosing (double what im dosing for Red Sea).

Does this sound correct?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yep that's what I meant you could do.
Dose the 32ml for a few days and test to see if it's maintaining :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Pommie every tanks usage will be different so there is no 'single' answer as to how much to dose to maintain your current levels.

There is also a second unknown - the actual number of calcium molecules in your mix. This number will depend on the purity of the product you are using, the actual amount used (how accurate is your measurement) and the actual amount of water (again, how accurate is your measurement).

The best thing to do is use some 'trial and error' with your mix.

Measure your calcium. Leave for a few days and measure again - this will determine your current usage. Then dose based on the Randy's calculator - measure again and adjust if required. It is unlikely that the dose based on Randy's calculator will be entirely accurate - it is likely to be close but with a DIY mix it is just not possible to be infallibly accurate.

Shaun3350

Feb 19, 2014
Shepparton
MagicJ said:
Remember to add an appropriate amount of Part 3 each time you finish adding 3 litres of Parts 1 and 2.
Is there a reason why this is added after parts 1 and 2? Or can you add the smaller amount as you go?

Shaun3350

Feb 19, 2014
Shepparton
I have just been thinking about this after reading it all and have a couple more questions.
Can you scale down to 1/3 into 1 litre quantities?
Thinking of using 1.25L softdrink bottles.

And is the quantity of product critical?
For example in recipe 1 a 1/3 quantity of Epsom salt =.46 of a cup.
I can't see a reason why we can't use 1/2 a cup. And use slightly less of the mixture.
Same for All it works out to 0.3 of a cup. Close enough to 1/3 of a cup.

I'm just trying to simplify the maths. Seeing as every tank has different requirements and you have to work out "your" usage anyway. I can't see why it has to be down to the gram. As long as you make it the same every time.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I agree with Sam.

But, the original quantities were calculated precisely to ensure that the elements were added in exactly the required ratio's - also, the accuracy of the calculator is dependent on having the measurements accurate.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Can I please ask one stupid question about Randy's B:

aoi68.tinypic.com_28lua9s.jpg

I was advised there is no need to re-measure the soda ash (baked baking soda).

The stupid question is: if we follow the recipe, will we always get the same consistent batch over and over again?

Probably being too pedantic, the reason I asked is because of this: "once baked for 1 hour under 190 degree Celsius oven, then dissolve in 1 gallon warm RODI water (which equates to 3.78541 litre) ".
  • Measuring exact 594 grams is achievable using electronic kitchen scale.
  • Measuring RODI water to 3.78541 litre is a bit harder.
I could probably try my best to hit 3.8 litre every time (although 4 litre is probably easier), so yeah the concern is: one batch to the other maybe different in Alk strength, which will impact the dosage volume.

ChristopherJ

Apr 12, 2018
Out of curiosity, when making my first batch of baked bicard soda, I reweighed the 470 grams after baking. It weighed 300 grams. That was a lot of moisture to burn off.