Off-Topic

Melissa

Aug 4, 2011
Believe me, you don't need to rely on ANYTHING to encourage his 'Uncle Bing' pranks. Well, perhaps Telemarketers ...

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Believe me, you don't need to rely on ANYTHING to encourage his 'Uncle Bing' pranks. Well, perhaps Telemarketers ...
Then I have no fear - I've no doubt I spoke to at least a few dozen future telemarketers today... hopefully a few of them get the pleasure of calling Uncle Bing :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
For the most part, nothing that any of them understood - sort of an occupational hazard intertwined with a strangely ironic paradox.

I support university students - a lot of which is over the phone, and ironically a lot of the students I speak to are international. Sort of ironic when the tech support is in Oz going to India and not the other way around. To get telemarketing jobs, they will generally require a degree.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Not sure I'd call it interesting. I'm sure talking to me is as frustrating for them as it can be for me. It might explain my fascination with Uncle Bing though :)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The answer to why cannot be quantified into statements of fact that wouldn't lead to more questions asking "why?", in turn also lacking the ability to be quantified with statements of fact also requiring further justification, ad infinitum, and so on and so forth.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
You should lecture at university, you would make just a much sences are the academics :D
I tried teaching Unix fundamentals to some TAFE diploma students once. First time I've seen synchronised "eyes glazing over" with 20 odd people.

I'm otherwise offended by that Doc. I still make far more sense than any academics I know, yourself excluded :P

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Many thanks. Back in my day, I used to lecture toseveral hundred students at a time. I am all too familiar with the sychronised eye-glazing. I often experience it with my wife when I am explaining the breeding mechanics of some obscure marine organism that I intend to research. I guess that this hobby is not for everyone ;)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I couldn't cope with a lecture theatre full of students. It's bad enough if I get roped into going into a lecture theatre to help a lecturer with something- too many people staring at me :P
I usually get the eye-glazing from non-domestic students when I try to explain something, or otherwise tell them something that they don't want to hear (which is quite often).

The people I work the closest with are either into keeping fish, or thinking about it, so I can get away with talking crap for ages.
I'd like to be able to talk about breeding mechanics of an obscure marine organism - i sucked at biology, and I can't be assed studying again. My academic inclinations are limited on a good day.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
well, you are fee to pick my brains about such topics, happy to share what I know :-) Hopefully will have some shots of Gramma loretto being raised in some of my tanks :-)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Nice. Can't wait to see the pics.

No doubt I'll need to pick your brains sooner or later. The urge to get a bigger tank up and running is starting become overwhelming, and I'm sure that's going to present me with a new set of challenges :P
Still trying to get my head around the billion options for supplements and what not to go in reasonable sized tanks. I'm all for trying to automate things (the IT nerd side of me needs me to do such things). The overworked side of me that currently handles a couple hundred issues a day, often doing a couple of completely different things at once lacks any ability to focus or retain any remotely complicated information, so that's a completely uphill battle right now. I wasn't born dumb, but multitasking and rapid jumping between totally unrelated tasks every couple of minutes has totally destroyed most of my analytical abilities and turned me into a mindless automaton. :rolleyes

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Wow, this has been a hell of a thread hijack. :hijack Sorry, I really, really, really wanted to use that.
We'll blame Melissa so Dynamic can't go mad at us :D