Reef Discussion

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
Raising Salinity
G'day guys,

May have just struck a limited time deal for some Live Rock to put into my tank to begin the cycle but my salinity needs adjustment.

I have put in a 22kg bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro into my system (640L) which has only given me a salinity of 1.020. Using a calculator from "SaltyZoo" - http://www.saltyzoo.com/SaltyCalcs/SalinityAdjust.php, I have been able to work out what I need to do to bring it up to the correct Salinity. Trying to work out how much salt I need to add. I have crunched the numbers and would like you guys to check over it if you don't mind.

Litres in System: 640L
Current Salnity of system: 1.020
Target Salinity of system: 1.025
Number of L in water change: I can do 160L.

Result: I need to remove 160L of my 1.020 water and raise it to 1.040 and mix it back into the system which will result in a Salinity of 1.025.

Using the formula of Brightwell NeoMarine - 134g per 1gal | 3.785L of water gives a salinity of 1.025.

134g Divide 1.025 = 130.73 grams Multiply by 0.020 SG (Desired Rise) = 2.62g. Multiply 2.62 grams by 42.267gal (Amount of water in change) = 110.74 grams.

Does this sound right to you guys?

Cheers, Joey.

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Since you current have NO stock in the tank why not just add salt straight into the system? I don't know as I use NSW so my reply may seem a little stupid.

With your power heads on surely it would mix and heat at the same time. Add About 2/3 of what you *think* you need, let it mix and confirm your calculations then add what remainder is required.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I would just chuck in whatever you need to add to raise the salinity into a high flow area. Some may disagree and have the opinion that the salt will get stuck into corners of your sump. You could just dissolve the salt into warm/hot water first and then add to tank.

I would also check to see if your salinity checker is calibrated to a 1.000 salinity solution as it might be closer to ideal than you think.

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
Since you current have NO stock in the tank why not just add salt straight into the system? I don't know as I use NSW so my reply may seem a little stupid.
With your power heads on surely it would mix and heat at the same time. Add About 2/3 of what you *think* you need, let it mix and confirm your calculations then add what remainder is required.
That's a good point. Dunno why that didn't occur to me. I've got sand in there so I don't want it to get caught in there so maybe I will dissolve it in the sump first.

Do the calculations sound right though?

Last edited:

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
I would just chuck in whatever you need to add to raise the salinity into a high flow area. Some may disagree and have the opinion that the salt will get stuck into corners of your sump. You could just dissolve the salt into warm/hot water first and then add to tank.
I would also check to see if your salinity checker is calibrated to a 1.000 salinity solution as it might be closer to ideal than you think.
I have calibrated my refractometer using RODI as per the instructions. Pretty confident it's accurate. The bucket said it treats 660L and it was an older bucket.

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012

Technically you want to calibrate to your desired state (around 35ppt) and not 1.000 although for our purposes either is fine).

Have a read of this - everything you wanted to know and more about the Refractometer from the God of chemistry and Reefing himself.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/

includes a DIY standard to 35ppt

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
Thanks macca. I will be sure to make up that DIY solution.

I think my calculations are correct because I have just applied the same forumla to the total volume and it came out with the same result.

134g Divide 1.025 = 130.73 grams Multiply by 0.005 SG (Desired Rise) = 0.65g. Multiply 0.65 grams by 169.07gal (Amount of total water volume) = 110 grams.

E

ezza

Just get a big bowl or bucket or whatever and mix some salt with some of the water from the tank to dissolve the solids, then chuck it all back in. No fish etc, no worries. I recently raised my salinity after a slight variation from 1.024 to 1.025 by tossing approx 500g of salt into he bowl. I know that's seriously unscientific. For every 10L of salt, you need approx 350grams of salt. For every 1 Litre of sea water at 1.025 there is 35grams of salt.

I had a really interesting experience mixing this small amount of salt. I added a tiny bit of water (if it was flour and not salt it would be enough to knead into a dough), then mixed it with my hand and felt it grow very hot within minutes. I had not added any heat source. The bowl was just a metal mixing bowl. Weirdest thing ever!