Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Raising Pepermint shrimp
Hi Guys,

Just thought that I would give some details on how I raise pepermint shrimp. After collecting them from the display tank when they are relaease from the parent (they swim to the moon light so they are easey to shoop out), I transfer them to a plastic tup where they are co-cultured with phyto-plankton (Nannochloropsis occularis - turns the water green) and marine rotifers. I provide circulation by gently bubbling one corner only. At day 5, I start to introduce baby brine shrimp, which I increase their size as the pepermint shrimp larvae grow. Thephytoplankton exports excess nutrients (and the rotifers consume the phytoplankton). Just prior to metamorphosis, the largae are feeding on full grown brinshrimp. The phytoplankton is continued in the raising tank until the larvae have metamorphosed. This increase the nutrient content of the brinshrimp as they "gut-load" on the algae before being consumed by the pepermint shrimp larvae.

I have included photos and a quick video of week ole larvae feeding on rotifers.

shrimp 1.jpg
Shrimp 2.jpg
Shrimp 3.jpg

Attachments

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I can try to dig some up. As they grow, the spend less and less time at the surface of the water and given that the water is green, it makes photography quite difficult. Have a batch of post metmorphs approx 1 inch I will try to photograph, but no promices :-)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Really cool, I would need a man cave to pursue all the avenues this hobby throws at you. I would like to raise red line cleaners, apparently their larval stage is about six months.

Mine lay fresh eggs each moult.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
As promiced, I have some photos I have taken of a shrimp about 3 weeks post metamorphosis. I have included a 5c for scale. At this stage they grow very fast provided the heat is kept up around 28 degrees. Once they reach 1.5 inches, I reduce the temp (to around 23 degrees) to slow growth. Enjoy. (sorry about the poor picture quality, only have an Ipod as a camera). Following metamorphosis, the shrimp are exact minatures of the adults and have identical behaviour (other than reproductive behaviour).
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0808.JPG

Nephrurus

Aug 21, 2011
Good work Chris. Send me some!

How much space have you got devoted to continually culturing phytoplanton and brine shrimp?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I have a tub or 2 of phyto plsnkton outside which recieves full morning sun. I have the rotifers inside. I keep the rotifers at low numbers untill I need them. Then I feed them on brewer's yeast to quickly increase their numbers and then enrich them with phytoplankton before feeding them to fry. Takes up surprisingly little space.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks for this - you make it look very easy. I collected 20 larvae from my peps and fed them frozen BBS because I was curious to see how they went. Surprisingly, with daily water changes, they lasted a week and then started to die off.

I'm in Vic too - what temp would be best to keep the larvae at?
And could we culture phytoplankton outside with our temps?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
phyto will grow in temps above 15oC. The peps are best grown around 23-25. You can speed their growth at 30oC but they do not grow as strongly.