Reef Discussion

Haul him out into another tank if you can and try a fungicide -- back when I had to deal with something like this it was goldfish and you used a drop of silver nitrate solution directly on the eye (fish out on wet paper towel top and bottom), and it worked or the fish died.

Your poor fish looks in a bad way. At this point it's worth trying anthing you can throw at him -- general anitbiotic + antifungal, as I am afraid if he's untreated he is going to die. Sorry.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Haul him out into another tank if you can and try a fungicide -- back when I had to deal with something like this it was goldfish and you used a drop of silver nitrate solution directly on the eye (fish out on wet paper towel top and bottom), and it worked or the fish died.

Your poor fish looks in a bad way. At this point it's worth trying anthing you can throw at him -- general anitbiotic + antifungal, as I am afraid if he's untreated he is going to die. Sorry.
I tried for hours yesterday to catch him, but now he is so upset he is behind a rock and won't come out

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015

He is my Favourite fish, If I lose him, I am giving up

Hi would dosing my tank with melafix heap??
Hi Susan, just googling Melafix suggests it should work. There seems to be a freshwater version, so be sure you have the marine one. I have no experience with it, as I'm very new to marines -- had freshwater for years and years and actually did post-grad work in fish behavioue lo! these many years ago.

If you are having trouble netting a fish, sometimes a plastic bag works, especially if you have someone helping to shepherd the fish into it. Hold a largish bag oen underwater in front of the fish, it's less obvious than a net. Or a large glass jug may work. How big is rabbitfish? He looks about 15cm or so.

Don't lose heart. Remember fish die out in the wild as well.

We're not that far apart. Maybe we could meet up sometime; I'd be interested to see your tank(s) and show you mine. Ammonia is down today and nitrite up qhite a bit, and I'm ffinally getting a little nitrate, which is good.

How is poor rabbitfish doing?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
IMG_2836.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG
We're not that far apart. Maybe we could meet up sometime; I'd be interested to see your tank(s) and show you mine. Ammonia is down today and nitrite up qhite a bit, and I'm ffinally getting a little nitrate, which is good.

How is poor rabbitfish doing?
That sounds good,here are some photos, he is still hanging in there
IMG_2836.JPG

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Glad he's hanging in there. My tank has brown hair algae coming out its (metaphorical) ears, but everyone is OK.
He is still going, managed to get him out yesterday and dip him, so he is hiding again not happy, now i am not so sure about the other eye