Reef Discussion

Nachoman

Apr 10, 2018
Putty
Just wondering guys what putty you guys find works best when creating aquascape. I'll be using it to join dry rock together before adding water to the tank if that makes any difference. Cheers

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Aqua kneed it or just the plain kneed it if you are doing it on dry rock. Sets rock hard. You can get tubes of it from Bunnings.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Drilling holes in the rock and inserting acrylic rods adds structural strength as well. I used acrylic rods before sticking it together with the putty.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Drilling holes in the rock and inserting acrylic rods adds structural strength as well. I used acrylic rods before sticking it together with the putty.
Great suggestion! Any advice about the type of drill and the bits you use do the rock doesn't break apart? Been looking at Dremel and wondering what I could use it for with live rock.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I used 12mm rods and a 12mm masonry drill bit. It drills through rock like nothing. Make sure you use the lowest torque setting on the drill because if the drill bit grabs it will most likely shatter the rock.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
I used 12mm rods and a 12mm masonry drill bit. It drills through rock like nothing. Make sure you use the lowest torque setting on the drill because if the drill bit grabs it will most likely shatter the rock.
I did what Buddy did. Rock structures have remained intact since 2010.