Off-Topic

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
This type of thing is always going to happen. Any store that lets customers exchange or refund devices without adequate checks in place is always going to get screwed. The HN store I used to manage generally wouldn't allow people to exchange an item once opened, or allow change of mind refunds for these very reasons.
The few times we did allow it, we nearly always got screwed. If you let them exchange it, you've still got to sell the product after you get it back, and with computer margins like they are, to get rid of a device as "used" will require dropping your pants (especially when your stock costs have the Gerry Tax applied to them).

Way, way too easy to crack open an external, swap the drive out with an old one and return it if your store policies involve returning things without adequate checks, and not having staff on the ball enough to be all over these potential issues. Even then, it's still too easy to get screwed these days. After you've taken a direct loss in the thousands for this type of things, your interest in letting people return things because they changed their mind seriously drops. Especially once that seal is broken.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
This type of thing is always going to happen. Any store that lets customers exchange or refund devices without adequate checks in place is always going to get screwed. The HN store I used to manage generally wouldn't allow people to exchange an item once opened, or allow change of mind refunds for these very reasons.
The few times we did allow it, we nearly always got screwed. If you let them exchange it, you've still got to sell the product after you get it back, and with computer margins like they are, to get rid of a device as "used" will require dropping your pants (especially when your stock costs have the Gerry Tax applied to them).

Way, way too easy to crack open an external, swap the drive out with an old one and return it if your store policies involve returning things without adequate checks, and not having staff on the ball enough to be all over these potential issues. Even then, it's still too easy to get screwed these days. After you've taken a direct loss in the thousands for this type of things, your interest in letting people return things because they changed their mind seriously drops. Especially once that seal is broken.
i agree dave. i wouldnt allow swapping of a used item. thats crazy, exactly what i was thinking. someones bought it swapped the drive then got a refund.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
i agree dave. i wouldnt allow swapping of a used item. thats crazy, exactly what i was thinking. someones bought it swapped the drive then got a refund.
Intelligent retailers don't allow things like this. If they weren't bitches for Woolworths, and allowed localised managers more control of how to run the business, I suspect they'd have less issues. I very much doubt that this is the first time this has happened - it's just that it's happened to someone who can get a media audience.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
A mate of mine at work bought a new DVD drive a few years ago now , Guess what it had in it ............... A burnt copy of XP , The computer store had been using that drive to install windows on computers
Either that or LG sends out a copy of windows, With each DVD drive purchase :D