Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Proof Is In This Picture !
image.jpg
Ok. So as you all know I've been trying a new coral feeding method . One of the main reasons was because my Gonis seemed to be turning pink & fluorescent as apposed to deep red. Well today was " move corals around day ". We moved our large mummy Goni that has been with us 21/2 yrs she was slightly against a rock, so some tentacles have been blocked from opening for about 7 months. Here is. Pic of him. You can 100% see the light pink & deep red. This pink is exactly what was happening before the feeling regime. I knew there had been improvement in colour but didn't realise just how significant it was until now !! It actually surprised me that those polyps were still alive & opening very quickly.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Out of interest what salt mix are you using? Unrelated to coral feeding, but related to something I heard said about Goni's :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Out of interest what salt mix are you using? Unrelated to coral feeding, but related to something I heard said about Goni's :)
I am using NSW from the SA SARDI marine research plant ! What have you heard about Gonis ? Please do tell ? :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You have them dialed in Lesley and they're BEAUTIFUL!!! Back in the 80s if you could keep a Goni alive for more than a month you were considered and expert, lol.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Do you have a link to your feeding trial please @Lesley ?
Nope. Lol. Just did a little more research on Seachem plus & trace. Found out that they are used as supplements to feeding. I had great extension & growth but colour was def fading on all my Gonis in particular but others as well. I was using as a sole food. Once I realised that, I started mixing reef roids in with amino and feeding twice a week in conjunction with plus & trace. Have seen a remarkable difference in 6 weeks. As the pic shows. Deep red to light transparent pink. All the corals have coloured up really well, and I honestly don't think all my corals have ever looked so healthy. So no thread just observations. :)

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
You have them dialed in Lesley and they're BEAUTIFUL!!! Back in the 80s if you could keep a Goni alive for more than a month you were considered and expert, lol.
Thanks Rob. Don't think I am expert in any way but great that we have new food products that allow us to appear as though we know what we are doing. Lol

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Thanks Rob. Don't think I am expert in any way but great that we have new food products that allow us to appear as though we know what we are doing. Lol
You've come a LONG way from when I first met you. Worrying about bubble algae in your overflow, lol. I sat there for a second and remembered that we're all new once. ;) Keep on doing what you're doing because those are some of the nicest Gonis I've seen and I've seen a metric shittonne of them. Personally, yours are better looking than Justin's. I saw one a week or so ago that was red with a purple centre on a wholesaler's list, they wanted $595 wholesale, it was gone and it hadn't been in their tank for an hour! That means at the retail level that coral WILL, not maybe, WILL fetch north of $2000.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
You've come a LONG way from when I first met you. Worrying about bubble algae in your overflow, lol. I sat there for a second and remembered that we're all new once. ;) Keep on doing what you're doing because those are some of the nicest Gonis I've seen and I've seen a metric shittonne of them. Personally, yours are better looking than Justin's. I saw one a week or so ago that was red with a purple centre on a wholesaler's list, they wanted $595 wholesale, it was gone and it hadn't been in their tank for an hour! That means at the retail level that coral WILL, not maybe, WILL fetch north of $2000.
You make me laugh. I was an absolute panic merchant back then, I wouldn't have got through without wonderful people like you and great sites.
Its such a shame that the 'Other site collapsed" it used to be good.
Yes I was scared of algae, test kits all sorts of stupid things.
So I do feel I have grown as a reefer (with lots of help)
Thank you !
Just one quick questions - Who is Justin ? I am a little lost as to who you are referring too ?