Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Powder Blue Not Doing So Well Today ?
Our PB has been with us now for 3 weeks. As you probably saw in the last update he was active, gaining weight and a friendly member if our tang community.
Today however he hasn't come out swimming , he has been hovering. Didn't eat either of the 2 feedings today and in the last half hour has been struggling to even stay upright !
I have done all parameter test and every thing is stable & normal
All other fish & corals are fine too
Surely after 3 weeks the malnutrition couldn't be the cause. ? I am devastated. Any suggestions or ideas why this is happening now ? Any suggestions on how we can help this guy ?
Thanks in advance. !!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Is there no hidden aggression? I dont know a lot about tangs in particular but there may be aggression that is going un-noticed and causing stress.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Is there no hidden aggression? I dont know a lot about tangs in particular but there may be aggression that is going un-noticed and causing stress.
I really appreciate that. I really don't believe so. And if there was powder blues are generally the aggressor ! Generally at feed time aggressive tangs can't contain themselves and no feeding aggression at all !

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Lesley, hopefully it will pull through - my fish can never refuse live brine shrimp. They have little nutritional value but they at least get them eating - are you able to get any locally?

@Oceanarium, from your post almost 3 weeks ago

Hmm Bright colours, eating and wasting.

Classic symptoms of cyanide caught fish. Good luck and i hope i am wrong.
In your experience, how long before things start turning bad if cyanide has been used?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I though about cyanide also. I had a pair of bangai cardinals that both died unexpected deaths in the last couple of weeks. First one 5 days and second one 2 weeks after introduction, both were feeding until the day before they died and showed no signs of ill health until the day they died and both were dead within hours of showing any symptoms. I have put it down to cyanide capturing (probably) as this is similar to what little I have read about it.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Well I am devastated He has died !!! We tried so hard he was so beautiful. ! At least the last 3 weeks of his life he was not hungry & cramped in a small tank with no rock. Thanks everyone. !! P.S. This picture was taken exactly 24 hours ago. Dam

Attachments

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Terrible to hear @Lesley :( I think you did all you could so its a shame to see such a disappointing outcome.

I doubt Banggai's are caught using cyanide as I am pretty sure they are easy enough to catch with nets.
I also thought this but the symptoms are exactly the same as this case...

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
He or she sure had a great three weeks in comparison to what it would have been like at the LFS. Times like this make me really sad about this side of the hobby :cry

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have done a bit of reading and found that banggai cardinals are known to be collected with cyanide. @Lesley if you dont mind could you tell me which store you got it from? Send me a PM if you dont want to publish it online but im just curious if it was the same store I got my cardinals from, not to blame them but it might narrow it down to a particular supplier...

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Sad :cry

Once weakened they are also susceptible to other issues. I don't think there is any set time frame it would vary greatly on the fish and dose received.

Harsh i know but I never like to 'rescue' fish or corals, better they die in the suppliers tank then they learn a lesson in the hip pocket and might think twice about how they care for the animals or where they get them from.

Bungee

Feb 19, 2014
Sorry to hear of your loss, never a good feeling losing a fishy member of the family. You gave him a good shot at a happy life.