Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Please Help!!
Hi,

Okay. So my edge's lighting fixture came down and to cut a long story short the LED lights were sitting in the water, with power. 12v 10A. So anyways, the water got all this white stuff floating around in it. I have moved the Blenny, Clown Fish, Hermit Crabs and coral to the new tank I am setting up.

I am worried because there is no live rock in the new tank. There is coral sand, and I did add the concentrated bacteria a few days back. Will this be good enough for temp housing?

I am a bit worried about the fish. The Blenny does not look well.

Thanks.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
you will need to have salt water on hand to do small daily water changes for a while as i dont think the tank will be ready for a bioload. especialy without and live rock in it. keep the new tanks water well airated

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
maybe you should still put some live rock from the old tank into the new one - I take it that obviously the new one hasn't cycled yet.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
how will the LR contaminate the water? if anything it would help with the cycling process of it. would like to see this "white stuff" mate, any chance of a pic? is it like a mucous string? if so it could be one of the corals that has cracked the S#%^s some what.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Nah it was a build up of something on the electrical connections on the LED's. The current must have reacted with the salt water. I think I will keep all the living stuff in the other tank and just do water changes. Then clean out the other tank, and start again. What a pain.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
to right mate, sorry to hear.

probably better to start again if it come from the electrical side of things, could cause probs.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah. I will leave the live rock outside for a few days so everything dies. Clean it and then start the edge up again. This time with a properly modded hood, not the quickie I made in 20 minutes.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
you may unfortunately even have deaths with water changes. If you can and you are 100% sure it is cured I would still get a piece or 2 of new LR from an LFS or possibly some other reefer in your area.
If you are a member of MASA they may have a list of people who may be able to help out with this who live nearby you. I know they've got a list on the Sydney site-even if you got some sand to seed your tank quicker

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It's okay. I think I will just do water changes every day (small ones). The fish all look happy for now. I will test the LR I just purchased, and if my readings are correct in a few days, I will move the fish in there.