Reef Discussion

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Placement
Hey guys I was gifted a coral today after I bought 2 small frags (zoa and blasto). I think he said the gifted coral was a Goni something.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what it is and were I should place it.

Atm I placed it in middle of tank so can't hurt anything if it does sting.

Attachments

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
It's a nice Goniopora. It's in the LPS coral family. It will do best on the sand as in their natural habitat they live in the sediment on the ocean floor, in lagoonal areas. For this reason they tend to live in nutrient dense areas.

These corals are quite tricky to keep in captivity. To give this coral the best chance of survival, it is recommended to target feed it atleast once a week.

I resist the urge to keep Gonis anymore. In our tank, they initially do really well and fluff up enormously, and then eventually, the polyps shrink and they just wither away.

In other people's tanks they do really well, so by no means am I saying this coral won't do well in your tank.

Being a new tank though, it would be highly recommended to target feed your new Goni. Reef Roids is an example of a food developed with Gonis in mind.

I hope yours does really well.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
It's a nice Goniopora. It's in the LPS coral family. It will do best on the sand as in their natural habitat they live in the sediment on the ocean floor, in lagoonal areas. For this reason they tend to live in nutrient dense areas.

These corals are quite tricky to keep in captivity. To give this coral the best chance of survival, it is recommended to target feed it atleast once a week.

I resist the urge to keep Gonis anymore. In our tank, they initially do really well and fluff up enormously, and then eventually, the polyps shrink and they just wither away.

In other people's tanks they do really well, so by no means am I saying this coral won't do well in your tank.

Being a new tank though, it would be highly recommended to target feed your new Goni. Reef Roids is an example of a food developed with Gonis in mind.

I hope yours does really well.
Thank you i will get some food for it and do resurch on it.
Being a lagoonal coral I am guessing strong light low flow.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
No worries Ryan :).

I know Sam at Eastwood Aq. has his Gonis placed on the sand but not shaded at all and they are doing really well. His display is a Red Sea Reefer and is a low nutrient SPS dominated display. He uses Aqua Forest supps including their coral foods. I'm not sure if he target feeds or not.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Very nice! By the look of the size of those polyp heads, it may be Alveopora.

I'm sure someone here will know whether it's a Goni or an Alve.

Looks great!

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Alveopora have 12 tentacles per polyp, goniopora have 24. Yours is an alveopora. Beautiful coral, but can be hard to keep. I can't seem to keep a goni or alveo alive in my tank for more than 12mths.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Alveopora have 12 tentacles per polyp, goniopora have 24. Yours is an alveopora. Beautiful coral, but can be hard to keep. I can't seem to keep a goni or alveo alive in my tank for more than 12mths.
Thank you for confirmation of the type of coral. Hmm I'll redo my resurch and try my best.