Reef Discussion

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Another question What do you use as fertiliser?
Ive read some info on the net about culturing and there are many different methods #confusing
Can you give a quick run down of the procedure you follow?

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
Just in regards to lighting, Could i use a standard desk lamp right against the bottle, if i get a warm white light ? what light do you recommend ?
Most lights will grow phyto, lower amounts of light will just take longer to grow. I don't think spectrum will matter to much, I've always used cool white (6500k), but that's only because I don't like the yellow output of warm white (3000k) bulbs.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Unfortunately we are clean out :( Waiting on the CSIRO's response to a proposal, but outside of that, we're not expecting to have any in the near future :( (The last lot we were sent by a member was DOA, so it's been a while since we last had any)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
@OSCAR85 - apologies for the delay but my computer has been out of action for a while :banghead

I did a bit of a wtite-up on my process here http://thereefuge.com/threads/the-second-hatch.11185/#post-145209

If you still want some let me know.
Thank you, managed to get some locally off @timmeh1 literally like 3 kms from my house.
I split the culture with asw seems to be getter greener like fluro green but my lighting is cree 10k white.
How do i know if its still alive or crashed?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
What SG are you using for the ASW?

The algae will drop out of the water column, and the water will go clear, if the culture crashes.

CREE 10k white is probably not ideal but it should still be OK. Most algae's grow best with more of the red spectrum - I use 6500k LED's on my setup.