Off-Topic

Nephrurus

Aug 21, 2011
Photographing your tank inhabitants
Ahoi all,

Matt suggested I create a thread that outlines how I go about getting photos of the inmates of my little 3x2x2 fish prison. Here: http://www.thereefuge.com/threads/henrys-3x2x2-mixed-reef.961/#post-11573

So, I'm writing this. This is NOT the be-all and end-all. Like reefing, there are many different ways to do things. Thus, this is much more of a "HOW I" rather than a "HOW TO" guide.

Here is a much better one written by my reptile enthusiast friend Stewart. It has a very nice summary of depth of field and such and such. http://www.reptilesdownunder.com/herping/photography/

I like to think I get some quite clear, sharp images of my critters. The equipment I use is certainly not cheap, but certainly not out of the realms of a dedicated reefer who wants to further their passion by photographing their tank inhabitants. That said, you don't need amazingly expensive gear to get good photos.

I use NIkon gear (D300, tamron 90mm macro, NIkkon 35mm F1.8) and Nikon Speedlights. You can get similar stuff with Canon, Pentax etc etc etc. I could probably use a tripod. It'd be really really handy for the slow shutter speed shots (see below).

I'm not sure about Point and Shoot (Non DSLR) cameras, but if they have a "manual mode" and a macro mode, you're in business!

I'll split it into three different shot types you might want to take... Remember manual mode is your friend. You're reefers, you're control freaks- you'll learn to love it.

FRONT OF TANK
I haven't attempted getting a full frontal of the tank yet, so I'm not exactly sure how to approach it.
I think it's be quite easy. Start with a nice wide lens (18-55mm is common on most DSLR) and a tripod. Turn off all the room lights and any external sources (other than the tank lighting), line up the camera and blaze away. I would try and get the aperture around F/16. Increase the ISO so you can still get a decent fast shutter speed (1/125 maybe?) but not have the image too noisy (grainy). It's all about finding the right balance- The same could be said for reef keeping.
Once you've got the image on your computer, use a editing program to crop the edges off. If you've got a free editing program like picasa, you'll be able to change white balance, etc etc etc even more.
If you've got Lightroom and Photoshop you can do a bit more again.

Again, I haven't really done this, so I'll edit when I've had a crack at it.

Critter photos: Non-flash.
If you've got nice lighting in your tank and you like the way the shadows play on the zooanthids/morphs you might want to capture it. But the problem lies in using a flash to take the photo effectively removes the thing you wanted to photograph. Turn off the powerheads to limit the amount of movement in the tank while you're taking photos (unless you want that for an effect).

This photo of a duncan polyp, for example, wouldn't have been possible using flashes.
ai19.photobucket.com_albums_b173_Nephrurus__DSC5674.jpg

I like the way the light catches the tentacles on the left hand edge of the left polyp and the shadows the other tentacles create. To get this I used a tamron 90mm macro and pressed it against the front glass of the tank. I used manual focus and framed it up. Then I experimented. It took about 10minutes before I knew that what I was doing would get the result i wanted. The settings ended up being 1/15sec, F/22, ISO640. This fish tank photography is great, it can't escape!
1/15 is very slow and any movement will blur the image. I took a lot of photos and chose the sharpest. It helps to fire the shutter when you're breathing out (it really helps!) as well, but i think the trick is to take a lot of images. Hopefully you'll fluke one really sharp one.

I did the same with this Zoa. Settings 1/15s, F/14, ISO640.
ai19.photobucket.com_albums_b173_Nephrurus__DSC5659.jpg

and this rather abstract shot of the Morphs... Although this was done with the wider 35mm wide open (1/2000, F/1.8, ISO1600). It probably should have been 1/200, F/1.8, ISO200 or something. I'm not sure how it happened that way.

ai19.photobucket.com_albums_b173_Nephrurus__DSC5615.jpg

Critter Photos- Using the flash
If you want photos of your fish and corals that move about, you'll want to use a flash to capture the movement. Not only does the flash effectively freeze the image, it illuminates from the viewer, so you get light from the front (instead of from on top). It's the best way to record fish AND moving corals like hammers etc etc.

Problems with flashes: The main problem with taking a photo of a tank using a flash is that you you get a big white smear in the middle of the photo where the flash has reflected back off the glass.
To overcome this there are several things you can do. Pressing the lens right up to the glass will stop the nasty flare. Of course this might limit what you can photograph but you have to make do- otherwise you get an underwater housing. Another way to overcome this is to have two off-set flashes on a bracket off either side of the camera. This is costly and usually you require the inbuilt flash to fire to signal the other two flashes to fire. Nikon Creative Lighting Systems overcome this (you can turn off the in-built flash). A similar system is now on some canon cameras as well.

How I do it: I use two offset flashes. They pump out enough light (more than the halide) to "freeze" the image, providing i am using a narrow aperture (F18) I can use any shutter speed i like (probably 1/80sec). Most fish have a pattern and once you've figured out their general movement pattern you can photograph them pretty easily.

This bicolour blenny has favoured "perches". I set the camera up ready at one of them and when he appeared I framed the shot and blinded him with two flashes.

ai19.photobucket.com_albums_b173_Nephrurus__DSC6032.jpg

Much the same with the moving corals. Set it up on the coral and fire when the tentacles are just right.

ai19.photobucket.com_albums_b173_Nephrurus__DSC6035.jpg

Flash photography is much less ceremonial than non-flash and for a certain type of photo is very easy. Once you've got the settings right you can return to it and do the same thing every time.
If you've got a couple of offset flashes you can move them around and turn them off or down and do tricky things like this one of the clown in the anemone, lit from the right only.

ai19.photobucket.com_albums_b173_Nephrurus__DSC5735.jpg

Post-processing
You can go as far as you like with post-processing. Some prefer to leave it at that, others prefer to clean the photos up a little (like me) and you can go further and further, depending how into it you are.

I use Lightroom 3 to clean up any spots of floating marine gunk or dust spots on my sensor. Then I use it to crop the image so it's composed correctly (how I like it). I can then change the white balance (the automatic function is often thrown by aquarium lights), the contrast, the exposure the brightness etc etc etc etc. I can also selectively sharpen parts of the image. This is important as shooting through glass and water (even starphire glass!) will reduce the quality of the image. This way you can spruce up the subject of the image and it'll look sharp and lovely. For example, I sharpened up the whole polyp of the duncan, then redid each tentacle. I think it gives a nice effect.

Ok, I think I covered most stuff. I'm by no means an expert or a pro. I just have some gear and a technique that does an alright job. I'll try and answer questions if you have any. By all means post them up. The main bit of advice I can give is take a lot of photos. You can always delete. Also read a bit about your camera and experiment. Whatever the camera, you should be able to get a half decent pic of your tank and it's inhabitants.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
great ideas you have there. i think i will have to play with my settings.
when you said you have the lens up against the glass do you mean that you have it literately touching the glass?

Nephrurus

Aug 21, 2011
Well, almost all lens have a guard to protect against scratching on the rim. A plastic rim. I have that up against the glass. In the case of my macro and 35mm, the plastic end of the lens is against the glass.

I should have pointed out it's important to clean the glass first! very important! :-)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Henry

Thanks for the info. If you don't want my question ruining your thread let me know and I will move it :) but it is sort of relevant.

I am currently looking to buy a DSLR and am condidering the Canon 550D - there are a number of kit lenses that can come with the camera : 18-55mm, 55-250, 18-135 or 18-200. Now, I understand that none of these lenses are top quality but I suspect they would be more than adequate for the average user i.e. me!!. Which lenses would you recommend?

I also understand the a 90mm or 100mm macro lense is ideal for taking close-ups of the tank but, can an acceptable picture be taken with a kit lens? I suspect that the focusing distance is too large which means you can't get the camera close to the tank etc - is this the main problem

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i have never put the camera that close to the glass before. cant hurt to give it a go, wouldn't be to good putting pressure against the lens tho would it?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
hey shane just to let you know i use a 18-55mm for most my shots or a 18-200 (yes i stand away for the tank far! )

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
With my existing Lumix I always put it hard up against the glass - reduces reflections and makes focusing easier through the glass.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
ive actually found i capture the natural colours of the corals better with flash? is that weird? i find the lights wash the colours out in photos
(i allways have the tank lights on when i take photos tho or it looks yellow)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
ive actually found i capture the natural colours of the corals better with flash? is that weird? i find the lights wash the colours out in photos
(i allways have the tank lights on when i take photos tho or it looks yellow)
You may need a bit a white balance adjustment (read the next page of the manual ;) )- or some post processing to correct the colour

Nephrurus

Aug 21, 2011
It won't hurt putting a little pressure against the lens. Just use manual focus (i think most of those lenses are internal focus anyway). If any move in and out to focus the pressure might damage them.

Magic, the quality issues of kit lenses is overstated. I've seen brilliany results with a 18-55. That said, if you want speciality lenses, you should probably buy them. Not many lenses will focus down to 10cm (or shorter) which is what you want for macro work.
A tamron 90mm macro is not that much money (for a lens) and good optics for what you get. The equivalent nikon is twice the price.

My advice is to borrow someones gear and have a go. If you were in Perth I'd happily run you through what I use!
Also remember that some Nikon have the creative lighting system (commander mode) that no canon (except the 7D and 60D) have.
This is a great thing when doing macro using external flashes.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks Nephrurus , appreciate your comments. The reviews for some of these lenses are not good, but they are written by photographers for photographers and some of the issues are not necessarily relevant to the amature. If a lens is a bit soft in the corners at a particular apperture I am not going to know or care - I will just think it is my lack of skill :) and will just take another 10 pictures until I get a good one!!

So, do you think the 18-55 and 55-200 twin lens kit is the way to go? To get a close up in the aquarium do you just use the 55-200, stand back a bit, and crop heavily?

Is this the Tamron you mentioned Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 Lenses - it looks like I can get this for around $370 so I might have a think about it.

Nephrurus

Aug 21, 2011
That Tamron is the lens i was talking about. Cheap and Cheerful!

if all you want to do is take shots of your family/friends and your tank, a macro and an 18-55 will do the trick. 18-55 will focus at 25cm, thats enough to let you get quite close to the tank and wide enough to allow you to get a frontal tank shot.

the IS version of the 18-55 is the one to get (if you're getting canon)
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-55_3p5-5p6_is_c16/page5.asp

I'm not sure a 55-200 would be wide enough or focus close enough to do exactly what you want. Focus at 1.2 meters? Pressed against the glass it won't focus.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/lenses/canon_55-200_4p5-5p6