Off-Topic

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Photo Editing Software
Hey all, just a quick one... What do you guys use and/or recommend for photo editing software.. I'm rather drawn between Corel Paint Photo Pro X4 and the new Adobe Photoshop.. Any suggestions?

Cheers B

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I would go for Photoshop. It will do pretty much anything you need it to do, and because of it's popularity you will be able to get your hands on a lot of plugins for free. This includes brushes, etc.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It depends on what you want to use it for??

I used Paint Shop Pro (when it was still freeware!!) for many years through many different versions. I have been using Photoshop for about the last 6 years and now use it exclusively, together with Lightroom.

I use a lot of its capability but there is still much more that I will never use. I have spent many hours watching videos, doing tutorials etc and have picked up a lot, but much of it you will forget over time if you are not using it constantly.

If you enjoy learning how to use things properly then PS maybe for you - if you just want to do a quick edit on your photo's then something simpler (and cheaper) will suffice. Photoshop Elements would probably do everything you wanted.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Thanks for all the advice guys much appreciated.. I've read a couple of reviews on both and it seems the Photo Pro X4 does exactly the same as PS (on toptenreviews.com) it won 2011 review of the year... just.. The reason it did so according to this site is it's easier to use than PS. I've used Illustrator in the past and found it frustratingly difficult to get the results I wanted swapped to Corel Draw and got better results..

Tho I've never used any photo ed software (except paint) so I guess I'm looking for something that will do pretty much everything but not be a PITA to use. MagicJ Shane have you found that PS Elements is difficult to get used to as in a complicated userface (like the old Illustrator)?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Tho I've never used any photo ed software (except paint) so I guess I'm looking for something that will do pretty much everything but not be a PITA to use. MagicJ Shane have you found that PS Elements is difficult to get used to as in a complicated userface (like the old Illustrator)?
I found paint shop elements easy to use but bear in mind that I'm used to working with Paint shop Pro.I think you can get older versions free to download on the net as well

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I'm going with Corel PaintPhoto Pro X4 for two reasons.. 1) becuase I'm different :cool: and 2) couldn't find PS for under $100 which was my budget.. Corel I can get for $89 Schweet :D

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'm a diehard Photoshop fan. Work in it almost every day. CS5 is brilliant, nothing can touch it for photo manipulation. Student versions aren't too badly priced . . . Downloads are even cheaper

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Now I could be wrong . . but I've heard that there are places where people (I don't know who) can go and download (I think that's the correct term) software and not have to pay for it.;)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
uncapped internet for me :D doesnt come without dramas tho. need more space, im thinking 5 3TB drives in raid 5, yum :cool: