Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Curious as to how you changed your testing method to get such different readings with the checker?
Did you have smudges on the glass when you were testing?
Buddy - as soon as the Hanna Checker arrived, I did the first reading on Tuesday, and got 0.27.
The reading on Thursday, shocked me at 0.31, but even if I thought I did it all correctly, it may well be that either there was a smudge on the vial, or something floating in the tet water.
I will do another test this evening, and let you know.

Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi all,
both the new reactors are now running with Rowaphos, and tuned to give me the tumbling effect. The new 54W bulbs have been running 24 hours, but will turned them off this morning, and will run them approx. 12 hours night times.
The phos check reading on Friday evening was way down to 0.10.
I did a check this morning, and it is now at 0.06 :cum
Seems the addition of the Chato in the refugium for a week now, the new bulbs, or the addition of the 2 reactors with Rowaphos, have had dramatic effects. Probably a combination of the above.
That Rowaphos must be very good to get this sort of reduction over such a short time frame.
Thanks to all for your inputs.
I will update you on progress re Algae growth, when I dare start up the lights again.

Jac

Attachments

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I think the problem is that either your liverock or that damned piece of wood is holding phosphate.

So, as you have been adding NSW with phosphate levels of 0.03, the phosphate has been accumulating in your tank (in the liverock or that damned wood).

So, now that you are using phosphate remover, the tests are showing 0.06, but that's only the phosphate free in the water. It doesn't tell you how much you have stored in the tank.

This is why when even after a 50% water change you still read high phosphates because the phosphates stored in your tank leach out when you add NSW.

Best to keep up the phosphate removal for some time and don't think that just because the meter gave you a low reading that you can now stop removing phosphate.

I suggest using the macro algae, but remember you have to keep culling the algae and removing it from your system. If you use a macro algae your fish eat, the procedure is pointless as the fish will consume the algae and return the phosphates to the water.

My phosphates are a modest +0.6.

Currently, I have set up a test aquarium where I intend to place individual pieces of my live rock in it and allow the phosphates to leach out. I am allowing any weed interested in participating to grow and I'll scrape that off and discard it as phosphate transfer.

Within a few weeks of adding the live rock, the phosphate level of the test aquarium drops to zero. The same happens with the nitrate level. I have to keep this going for a while to see if this method allows all the phosphate to leach out.

It's also interesting in that I see lots of interesting things being revived in the test tank, like a form a macro algae I thought had been eliminated altogether from the tank by my Yellow Tank (now deceased).

I don't have a sump, but obviously you could all do the same thing using macro algae in your sump, but you won't be able to examine the stored phosphate in each piece of liverock separately.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
I think the problem is that either your liverock or that damned piece of wood is holding phosphate.

So, as you have been adding NSW with phosphate levels of 0.03, the phosphate has been accumulating in your tank (in the liverock or that damned wood).

So, now that you are using phosphate remover, the tests are showing 0.06, but that's only the phosphate free in the water. It doesn't tell you how much you have stored in the tank.

This is why when even after a 50% water change you still read high phosphates because the phosphates stored in your tank leach out when you add NSW.

Best to keep up the phosphate removal for some time and don't think that just because the meter gave you a low reading that you can now stop removing phosphate.

I suggest using the macro algae, but remember you have to keep culling the algae and removing it from your system. If you use a macro algae your fish eat, the procedure is pointless as the fish will consume the algae and return the phosphates to the water.

My phosphates are a modest +0.6.

Currently, I have set up a test aquarium where I intend to place individual pieces of my live rock in it and allow the phosphates to leach out. I am allowing any weed interested in participating to grow and I'll scrape that off and discard it as phosphate transfer.

Within a few weeks of adding the live rock, the phosphate level of the test aquarium drops to zero. The same happens with the nitrate level. I have to keep this going for a while to see if this method allows all the phosphate to leach out.

It's also interesting in that I see lots of interesting things being revived in the test tank, like a form a macro algae I thought had been eliminated altogether from the tank by my Yellow Tank (now deceased).

I don't have a sump, but obviously you could all do the same thing using macro algae in your sump, but you won't be able to examine the stored phosphate in each piece of liverock separately.
Henry,
interesting observations.
I was relieved to get a reading of 0.03 on the IBC water, after the inital 0.39, but I am told even 0.03 for NSW is actually high. I have big air stones in each of he 3 IBCs. Can it possibly be that the IBC water , which has been stored now for about 2 weeks, has 'accumulated' Phos in storage. ?
Visual inspections show the water to be clear. The 2 built under he new deck, at the water side, are inter-connected, and covered by the deck, so minimal sunlight. The top IBC at the road side, I have added the thick plastic sheeting, to shield from light. To move water from the 2 lower IBCs to the top one, we have a separate pool pump, which then runs through a canister filter before discharging into the top IBC.
We tried to think ahead, and take all precautions, but I am wondering if there may be something we missed.
I am encouraged by the much reduced readings, but fully intend to maintain the 2 reactors with Rowa Phos, and with the new full spec bulbs I hope the Chato compartment kicks it up a notch, and we get the levels even lower.
What is less encouraging is, I thought to help this along yesterday, and used the new gravel syphon to try to such away the Algae on the sand bed., It had limited effect - churned up the sand, but most just settled down the tube and back to the floor, with what I think is just covering the algae up, rather than removing it. The sand bed was noticeably whiter, but when I checked this morning, there seems to be new algae covering the sand.
I am wondering f I should resort to the old fashioned hose to syphon off the top layer of Algae, along with the sand. I could run the hose down to the basement, through the filter socks. I can then remove the filter socks, wash out the sand again, and return it. Noit sure if this is worth the effort. ??

From all I have heard, the fake rock I used, has been known, in some batches, to contain high silicates and phos, and then gradually leech it into the water. There is no clear indication of how long this can last.

I would be curious to know your test results.

Jac

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Look at a map of the area around where you are collecting water. No doubt there's run off etc and that would include water off agricultural areas entering the system. Even if you collect at high tide your still got water coming in from the region that probably has phosphates. Eg Tweed River, Moreton Bay ...

I have also had phosphate reading around 0.03 from water collected from the Sydney area. I haven't tested the water from the South Coast but will do so soon.

Having said that, once everything is up and running your macro will do it's job and even if you never eliminate all your phosphates from the tank, the available phosphates in the water will be so low it doesn't matter.

I probably can't lose phosphates from my display tank as I the algae that grows in it is eaten by my fish so the phosphates don't leave unless I do water changes.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Henry,
I get my water in the Southport seaway, at the full incoming tide. There may well be agri run off up risver, but as you say, this may be at the 0.03 level, which I can live with, and my system can handle , once the Chaeto kicks in, plus the Rowa phos .
My fish, Powder Grey, Mimic and Naso Tangs, and the bi-color Angel, all munch on the Algae all day.. good to see it being removed from mthe sand and rocks, but it still stays in the system. :rage
Keep you posted on progress.
Tks
Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi guys, '
yesterdays PO4 reading was 0.05, so slightly down again...:cum
When I checked the supplier of my RealReef Rock, he assured me what I got was the Will Smith brand, which he s sure will not have or leech phosphates.
To finally put this to rest, I have this morning put approx. 35 ltrs of NSW from the IBC.
Tested it after 30 minutes with just a small pump . Reading was 0.02 . So it seems I do have a detectable amount of PO4 in my new water, but at that level it should not be an issue.
I added 1 large rock I had left over, that has never been in the water. will leave the pump running, and do another test tomorrow. That may tell us if the rock is leeching .
Keep you posted.

Jac

Attachments

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Good test on the rock.

Btw if anyone is interested in agricultural products getting into waterways by runoff read up on Diuron. It was basically taken off the market in Queensland because of the effect it was having on the GBR. It's a chemical that affects photosynthesis in plants and even affected photosynthesis in corals.

Last edited: