Reef Discussion

markfresh

Jul 17, 2018
Phosphate And Sulphur Reactor
Hi,
I am just getting back into reef after 10 years,
I used to have a aqua medic sulphur reactor which seemed to work a treat,and was going to get another one.
in regards to a Phos reactor apparently they remove Phos and nitrate.
Do they (Phos reactor) remove enough nitrate by themselves or should i run both a sulphur reactor and a phos reactor .
Also ive heard if you pull out every trace of nitrate sps corals suffer as they prefer a little bit of nitrate to feed etc.
thanks mark

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Hey markfresh,

Was watching if any one else chimed in about the phosphate and sulphur reactors as i have not used a sulphur reactor before so i cant help with that one.

Depending on what filtration system you use i guess will diterman a lot about what your going to need due to possible nutriant exporting by your set up.

I have used a refugiam for the past 10 years in combination with reactor with a phosphate media and that has worked very well in the past. I am currantly having a battle my self due to various reasons at the moment with issues that i am getting on top of but thats another story.

I have always ways used seachem phosguard as it is very cost effective and has always done a fantastic job in my 2 little fishis reactors. I am currantly using Rowaphos but im going to go back to Seachem as i like how thier product discolors when it is exhausted and requires replaceing. Also Rowaphos is very expense in my opinion.

Maby start a journal with what set up you have or are thinking of having and we can all help point you in the right direction with sump set up etc. Like a lot of things with marine tanks what works for some dose not work for others and its about finding what works for you.

Look foward to seeing how you go

https://www.seachem.com/phosguard.php

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
I have used phosguard before i might give it a go again , or i was looking at https://livingreefaquariums.com.au/brands/continuum/continuum-exxodusbac-2l/ aswell, might scratch the sulphur

Looks like a great product but if you are looking primarily for a phosphate remover you are better off with phosguard etc. Reading the instructions it can not go in reactores as it can not be fluidized as it will cause dust due to it moving and agitating on its self.

What filter/refugium set up are you setting up?