Reef Discussion

Ken

Jan 26, 2014
having phos running around 1ppm to 2ppm isn't an issue in a tank that doesn't have sps it may inhibit growth to some extent but not going to cause a problem with any lps, softies, inverts or fish.. My tank sits around 1 to 2ppm on phos with no ill effects (no problem algae in display, only have to clean the glass every 2 to 3 weeks and good growth on lps/softies) the only thing I can see with running phos that high is it inhibits coralline algae growth.. So @Ken don't stress and make any rash decisions about lowering phos just everything you are doing is fine get rid of the bio balls and coral rubble over time and get the marine pure block into the tank so it can seed also get into a routine of water changes and maintenance and all will be fine..
Once the hair algae in your tank starts to recede you know that your phos and nitrates are getting lower what you need to remember is if you have a bad hair algae problem in the tank, what you are testing in the water column is what the algae hasn't/can't consume.. Also don't waste money on buying the Red Sea product no3po4 it is just a mix of ethanol, sugar and vinegar if you want to go down this route look into carbon dosing/vodka dosing needs a bit of research, care taken and a large skimmer just like the Red Sea product just a hell of a lot cheaper and you can make yourself a drink while you are at it.. :rofl
Thanks overhauling wet/dry at moment fitting phosban reactor backing off light intensity adding carbon and water changes RO this time!

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
having phos running around 1ppm to 2ppm isn't an issue in a tank that doesn't have sps it may inhibit growth to some extent but not going to cause a problem with any lps, softies, inverts or fish.. My tank sits around 1 to 2ppm on phos with no ill effects (no problem algae in display, only have to clean the glass every 2 to 3 weeks and good growth on lps/softies) the only thing I can see with running phos that high is it inhibits coralline algae growth.. So @Ken don't stress and make any rash decisions about lowering phos just everything you are doing is fine get rid of the bio balls and coral rubble over time and get the marine pure block into the tank so it can seed also get into a routine of water changes and maintenance and all will be fine..
Once the hair algae in your tank starts to recede you know that your phos and nitrates are getting lower what you need to remember is if you have a bad hair algae problem in the tank, what you are testing in the water column is what the algae hasn't/can't consume.. Also don't waste money on buying the Red Sea product no3po4 it is just a mix of ethanol, sugar and vinegar if you want to go down this route look into carbon dosing/vodka dosing needs a bit of research, care taken and a large skimmer just like the Red Sea product just a hell of a lot cheaper and you can make yourself a drink while you are at it.. :rofl
Agreed that all people must do research of techniques to combat nitrate and red sea no3po4 does not replace good tank husbandry and regular water changes. However as someone who has actually used this products which much success i highly recommend it. At $35 a litre its hardly expensive. Its also pre made with the correct ratio of ingredients to combat cyno and phos. Many people who dose vodka alone have cyno problems long term. Vinagar seems to have more success than vodka alone. To anyone not sure about what carbon dosing is or what it achieves, basically your feeding healthy bacteria growth to consume Nitrate and phosphate.

Ken

Jan 26, 2014
I've just got heap of activated carbon thinking put in sump with rubble? Any thoughts

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
I've just got heap of activated carbon thinking put in sump with rubble? Any thoughts
Actiavted carbon is not the same as carbon dosing. Easily confused though. I do use a bag of carbon to purify water and help keep clarity, however it will not remove nitrate and sometimes it does actually leach phosphate into the water column

Ken

Jan 26, 2014
Actiavted carbon is not the same as carbon dosing. Easily confused though. I do use a bag of carbon to purify water and help keep clarity, however it will not remove nitrate and sometimes it does actually leach phosphate into the water column
Hi thanks I've put a sock full in if I don't

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Sorry hit wrong button was saying if I change carbon after few days will it still leach phos?
if its a high grade carbon it will be fine for a while 30-40 days. In prioritising though, its not really going to put a dint in any of your water parameter concerns.

Reactions: Ken

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Too much carbon or a large quantity of fresh carbon added to a tank has preceded RTN in SPS (this is purely anecdotal from multiple users on here) so I'd be careful of just chucking too much of anything in right now. One swing of a parameter will lead to swings in others. Most likely your rock has absorbed a lot of the phos over the last week too. I'm sure things will be fine :)

Reactions: Ken
E

ezza

Hey dude. I had a similar thing happen. I have sand and miracle mud in the sump though I am seriously considering removing them. My phosphate went up and nitrate was 80! I wrote it up in my tank journal. I am running a phosphate reactor, doing large water changes, and using a phosphate remover plus boosting carbonate alkalinity as phosphate remover supposedly reduces that. Generally tank is way better after a week and algae and weeds are all reducing. I brought home two little tangs today to eat my Caulerpa.

Ken

Jan 26, 2014
No mate now the only problem I have is getting a reading on nitrate and phos (0-.2)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hey guys, this was a request for urgent tank support beginning of Feb. probably best not to resurrect these threads again by offering late advice as it will shift resolved issues back to the top of the pile where only the latest urgent help required posts should be.