Reef Discussion

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Pest control and a tank? no go?
hey guys,

since LEG-IT came over ive had to get the pest control in...

jk

but really having pest control done at home i have an open top tank and i know that obviously the poison n the tank wont go together....any precaution steps i could take or is it simply dont spray within a certain distance of the tank?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
dont laugh...but i was thinking glad wrap the top of it until all the stuff settles?
I was going to suggest exactly this. I would triple glad wrap and then tape around just for extra precaution.

Risk also depends on what type of pest control and the risk of spray ... either way be over-cautious, wouldn't want your tank nuked when it's going so well.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Make sure you run some good quality carbon for 48 hours afterward too, as crap is still likely to get in, especially if you run a sump.
Personally I would not run the skimmer for 24 hours either as you risk sucking in contaminants & dissolving them in the water, just run carbon.

Glad wrap seems as good a solution as any but don't forget to protect the sump, maybe even glad wrap the entire stand. Wrap is cheap, heartbreak isn't.

Good luck.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Make sure you run some good quality carbon for 48 hours afterward too, as crap is still likely to get in, especially if you run a sump.
Personally I would not run the skimmer for 24 hours either as you risk sucking in contaminants & dissolving them in the water, just run carbon.

Glad wrap seems as good a solution as any but don't forget to protect the sump, maybe even glad wrap the entire stand. Wrap is cheap, heartbreak isn't.

Good luck.
lol all this is being taken into consideration i just said is it really that important to kill white ants n roaches? cant we just all get along?

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Coming from an ex pestys point of view ^_^ I had an open top tank in my house and what I did was close up all windows and doors for the outside spray and pump my ducted Evap aircon.... it pressurises the house and nothing can get in as the air is rushing out ! I never sprayed inside just killed the odd spider by hand if I found one..... But I would suggest the same idea if you have to spray inside ... Pressurise the house and I possible stay out of the room the tank is in ... Amine was in the office so I would have closed it up and sprayed the entire house..... People are right the chems we use will nuke your tank If you get it in there but and decent pest controller should be able to work around it :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Haven't had them in yet...kinda dreading it :/ tanks goin well I'd hate for something so small to nuke it all..will keep u guys posted

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
You should be ok with plenty of precaution. The good news is that the chemicals pest controllers use these days are very mild (but still dangerous) compared to in the past. The really effective chemicals have all been outlawed, that's why there is a dramatic increase in termite activity these days.

I would just get it done before the pests ruin stuff for you. You have to do it some time.

Have you tought of rehousing your fish in the garage or somewhere in a big tub for a while?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I would turn the skimmer off as mentioned by others above, turn the lights off and cover the tank with a sheet, maybe even for the whole day. Thats what we did when we were painting, this is different though.