Reef Discussion

Allen glover

Dec 19, 2018
Paying Attention At The Fish Shop
An abject lesson in paying attention. Walk into thw shop and asked for a simple care coral. Was pointed to this peice and told told the name but i was to busy gawping at all the good stuff to catch it. So now im trying to find out what type it is. Looks to my uneducated eye as a favia.
20190123_160543.jpg
What do you think? and is moderate flow moderate light and liquid feed ok for it

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
It is a Goniopora, it is relatively easy to care once you provide the adequate environment and it is certainly not the type of coral you drop in the tank and forget.
It needs to be target fed with micro food, such as Reefroids and Gonipower, it doesn't tolerate high levels of Nitrate and it has to be placed in moderate to low flow.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
That is a bottle of liquid amino acids, while it can be a good source of food for some corals, it won't do much for Gonioporas.

It looks like you are beginning in the hobby and the best advice I can give you, is to ask here before you buy anything.
That can help avoid frustration that comes from building a reef tank by following advice from the shops... Some are pretty good, but at the end their agenda is to sell us stuff ;)

As for the bottle of Amino Acids, regard it as food. As with any food, if your tank has nigh level of nutrients and problems with nuisance algae, adding more food will make it worse.