Reef Discussion

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
Other Good Ornamental Shrimp - What species have you had?
Ok..I'll admit I just love inverts :)

I have a Redline and 2 Peppys which you don't see very often, but hey they are workers after all and as long as I see both at the same time I am happy knowing that they haven't been taken by any inner rock demons.

Now I need to know more about the other shrimp people have owned, their good points and bad points, ones that can and can't live without a host etc etc...

So what have you had over the years????

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
firechild thanks for the link, will be a good read and I think I just fell in love with the peacock mantis shrimp but after a quick read dont know how good it would be in with smaller fish and some other inhabitants, they are smashers according to the article, but.... in saying that every type of animal can be different and you could get one that would be a dream... or a nightmare..

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Peacock mantis is one of the exceptions to the rule. They are absolutely brutal animals and MUST be kept away from most fish and molluscs.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
Peacock mantis is one of the exceptions to the rule. They are absolutely brutal animals and MUST be kept away from most fish and molluscs.
yep would have to be a single species tank with only live rock. feeding would/could be a prob but being a shrimp they should scavange too? I reckon a couple (or one depending on how they go together) would look great in a little nano.

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
One day I would love to get a Small Peacock Mantis for my sump as I have this on display to...

A group of Sexy shrimp would be great but not sure if they would do well without an anemone.

I've seen the Stars and Stripes now they are interesting but would my Decorated Goby eat them? All things to consider I suppose.

I even considered everyday school prawns but they really need mud for natural environment.

Great article by the way thanks for that.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Would have to be just one. They do scavenge a bit but they are primarily predators. Despite their name they are not true shrimp, not unlike calling a prawn a shrimp (though prawns and shrimp are much more closely related). Be warned that peacock mantis are one of the few species that can break through glass.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
Would have to be just one. They do scavenge a bit but they are primarily predators. Despite their name they are not true shrimp, not unlike calling a prawn a shrimp (though prawns and shrimp are much more closely related). Be warned that peacock mantis are one of the few species that can break through glass.
surely the peacock would have to be on the slightly larger size to be able to smash glass?? the article said they can get up to around 8 inches in length, I could definately beleive that one that size could, but surely a smaller one up to the size of a couple of inches wouldnt be able to get through 8mm or so glass?

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Absolutely, a little tacker isn't going to go through 6mm glass. Unfortunately peacocks are extremely difficult to find. One the other hand, Gonodactylus sp. are dime a dozen and there are some very nice looking specimens around. It's rare for them to take down fish but they will decimate snail populations.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I think it does come down to the nature of the beast when it comes to picking what goes in our tanks. there will always be a food chain and who is on the top. that is just a fact of life which can sometimes suck, but none the less has to be considered when choosing what goes in.

and thats the other prob, availability, if you were able to find one/get one in it would probably cost a small fortune for a little bugger. one LFS that i dont often go to due to pricing had a CBS that was only around 2cm long, I asked how much he wanted for it and nearly fell over when he said $99 and its yours :eek:confused::eek put it this way, its still there, it has grown to around 4 cm long now and I havent asked how much, it has probably gone up now its bigger. one of the reasons I dont go to that LFS apart from a looksy and if there is something there that is nice and for the right price I have been known to get something from him. the LFS I do go to as my main one is half hour away, which isnt a problem as I dont mind the drive but is much, much fairer in pricing, not saying that this is a cheap hobby but the difference of the two LFS price wise is unbeleivable.