Reef Discussion

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Orange Striped Cardinalfish
Hi all,

Just wanted to post about the trio of Orange Striped Cardinalfish I picked up on the weekend. I have them in a quarantine tank atm and am very impressed by them. They look great and appear to be getting along together very well. They have a definite pecking order, but there's no aggression.

They ate granule prepared food on the third day and are genuine pigs! They probably would have eaten it earlier, but I hadn't bothered to try them on it as I assumed they'd only eat live/frozen stuff. Also, they so far appear to have very mild temperaments. I just hope my Coral Beauty doesn't bully them too much. I have a feeling they might give back a bit.

Anyone had problems with them? I can't wait to get my new tank set up and have these together with my other fish!

Coralfarmer

Jul 20, 2015
I started with 6 until 2 of them got a bit to complacent around the rhinopias lol
great little fish, peaceful nothing seems to bother them [apart from the rhinopias]
they are a great schooling fish and if you add more they will school together I have mine with 7 glass cardinals a vanderbuilt chromis a blue/green chromis and a barrier reef chromis and they all school together....

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I started with 6 until 2 of them got a bit to complacent around the rhinopias lol
great little fish, peaceful nothing seems to bother them [apart from the rhinopias]
they are a great schooling fish and if you add more they will school together I have mine with 7 glass cardinals a vanderbuilt chromis a blue/green chromis and a barrier reef chromis and they all school together....
How big have yours grown?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I'm wondering if they will get to 8cm. They are currently between 3.9cm-4.5cm. Chunky little fish.

It would be awesome if these eventually bred in my tank, even if I don't get to raise the fry.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Yes, I have a plastic ruler.

4.5cm, 4.2cm, and 3.9cm in fact.

Any opportunity I get I place the fish in a fish bag without water, flattened the bugger out (they can be a bugger) and measure them.

I really like buying fish young and small and literally measuring their growth.

This is another reason why my Coral Beauty has been such a big disappointment, having lost it's tail ages ago...

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Yes, I have a plastic ruler.

4.5cm, 4.2cm, and 3.9cm in fact.

Any opportunity I get I place the fish in a fish bag without water, flattened the bugger out (they can be a bugger) and measure them.

I really like buying fish young and small and literally measuring their growth.

This is another reason why my Coral Beauty has been such a big disappointment, having lost it's tail ages ago...
Ive only guessed the measurements on my fish in the past.
I've heard that yellow fin bream are slow growers too.