Reef Discussion

Once I Saw It I Just Had To Have It...
Recently took a trip down to Pet city and Gallery Aquatica with @daveH, I needed a partner for my Talbots Damsel and Dave thought he might get some too. Very peaceful little guys and just a great little fish.

But on to why I'm making this post. I saw a Gold rim tang at Gallery and seeing as I have not added any fish for quite some time, I thought it was time to take the biggest "calculated" risk I have taken in a long long time. I wanted that last special fish to complete my collection. I was after either a Powder blue or a Gold Rim, knowing they are notorious for getting spot and destroying tanks. On seeing the Gold Rim I just couldn't resist, four weeks in the shop and eating well. Thanks to much discussion with the guys from Gallery and DaveH, I considered my current situation and tank conditions, thinking I'm in as good a place as ever to try one.

My last attempt three years ago ended with me loosing all my fish when the real estate decided they needed to change the carpets in our rental we then lived in... Powder blue went first and so did every other fish after that, except for the Talbots.... three months without any food in an attempt to ride out the parasite, that little guy was still there. I had no idea he was still alive.

Long story short, I added the Gold Rim to the tank holding it in a holding box, again thnks to @daveH for borrowing me his holding box. This way I had two and placing them side by side the fish had more room to move around.

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3182.JPG

The Gold Rim was in the holding box for two days, then I did something which I thought was widely known about but I'm getting the feeling it might not be... I placed a mirror on the end of the tank and sure enough, every fish only concerned themselves with what they saw, themselves... The mirror was up for one day prior to letting him out, then on the second day I slid out the end of the holding box and a few minutes later the Gold Rim swam out. Not one fish even noticed. Too busy with them selves.

IMG_3193.PNG

Since then, being a Gold Rim, it has developed some spots above its left eye and you could see a ridge form down his left side under his skin. I was optimistic and since then its been four days now, the ridge has subsided and the spots are almost gone. My cleaner wrasse is all over him. I recon I'm out of the woods now, he's started eating nori and also frozen food. The only fish that gives him a run around is the Dezgardini. He's the boss I recon. But its always just a quick chase going pretty much in a tight circle around each other. I'm loving the new addition and I'm over the moon that my patience and planning paid off. Not much you can do to assure the success of such a fish and yes, just before anyone asks the question... I did not QT the fish. I have never and I probably never will. I think its all about having a the right fish and making sure he's healthy before the addition. Then being clever with the addition and making sure you don't add to many too quickly. I always recon a few months between or all at once. Case in point @daveH tank when we added four tangs in his last tank.

Anyway, I love him! He's so beautiful...

A link, sorry but no wifi so I can do HD

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It was so good to see this beautiful healthy fish from Gallery Aquatica go into Gerhard's tank with hardly any dramas.
There was obviously concerns about it being a successful addition but it worked out perfectly. There was no aggression and only a couple of days before he started eating well.
The Goldrim now looks pretty happy in his new home.
Well done mate.
P.S. I got 3 Talbots, 1 disappeared into the rocks within the first hour, haven't seen him again. 1 disappeared into the rocks 3 days later only to appear occasionally for a feed. The last one is front and centre all the time and cruising nicely. Oh well.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Did you get any Springer's damsels? I love those guys, they eat all sorts of nasty critters that eat corals and they're dead bang peaceful except towards one another. I have a pair and if they're guarding eggs, look out, anything gets near the nest, it's gonna get bitten.