Reef Discussion

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Ok for my sump?
Hey guys I got heaps of this spounge stuff when I got the tank is it ok to put inside I'm thinking of putting it here.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353729188.048696.jpg
in the first section. This is the sponge
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353729218.892239.jpg

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
It depends on what you're using the sponge for. If you're using it to reduce splashing, noise or bubbles from your overflow; I'd go with live rock rubble over sponge.

Sponges can cause a build up of nitrates if they aren't cleaned regularly.

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
Never thought of the build up, I wana put it there because it will stop the splashing and the little myris and stuff can grow and live in there to. I don't want any rock, rubble or sand in my sump I just cleaned it all out lol makes to much mess

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Oh I see, well maybe some bio balls or something similar? They would be easier to clean and wouldn't build up nitrates and gunk as quickly.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
daniel that black sponge contains carbon-probably not good quality for a reef tank as well-don't use it
I sometimes use these for FW only

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
It's a medium that allows organisms to grow and is supposed to reduce nitrate by encouraging the growth of anaerobes. Only thing-it's not cheap-Majestic has some on special at the moment. i've got some of this and so has NiCd

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Bio balls are as bad a sponges in regards to nitrate production. Basically you need to create low oxygen environments for de nitrification which cannot be facilitated on these medias.

As firebird mentioned there are other medias such as marine pure that can do this which would be a better choice.

But taking a step back if you look at how you are setting things up, things work best if they are in a certain order. Skimming physically removes the waste rather than breaking it down and it works best being in water with high dissolved organic contents. By placing the sponge, marine pure or whatever before the skimmer it reduces the skimmers ability and function in the system.

So ideally you want to go skimmer, then either another level of physical removal such as a filter sock if you can regularly manage it, if not then to biological media such as marine pure, live rock or refugium and so on and then finally chemical such as rows phos, carbon ect.

You also have to be mindful of the oxygen content of the water at the various stages and how they interact with the process. Water leaves the skimmer saturated in oxygen, if this is empied straight into a fugue where you are attempting to grow macro it will inhibit the growth because as you know plants take carbon dioxide and convert it to oxygen, but by placing an aerobic media before hand you can deplete nearly all of the oxygen and increase the effectiveness of both parts.

Anyways enough ranting