Reef Discussion

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
Noob Mistake: Coral Beauty
Hi all,

After some research, most of the people say CB is semi-reef save, 80% safe.... So I bought this CB from a MASQ dude. Seriously as a MASA/MASQ member, they should, i think, be truthful as to what they sell. Sold me this CB for $30 and it is a rouge......

I was thinking how come my coral doesnt open up anymore etc.... damn CB is nipping my toxic green goni, brain corals, Nassarious snails "Antenna", it hurts me when I see it bite some of the antenna off from a snail, ouch!

OK, got a large tank, how do I trap it out?

Very sad

Hil

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
hi Hil,

mate, try coax it with food and if you can use a larger net would help. use two nets if possible and herd it in. this may take some time and patience especially if you have a lot of live rock/reef area.

its an old addage with fish, mostly they can be ok then every now and again you can get a complete prick of a fish. the CB I had werent to bad in that sense as they werent going for the corals. biggest prob I found with them was water quality in a fresh tank. needs a lot of stabilty.

it may not be the persons fault as the fish might not have behaved this way in their possesion, but sometimes they do and might be the reason why they wanted to move it on..

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I like coral beauties...what is bad about them....have to ask as I was going to get one?....are flame angel's or bi colour angels similar problem

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
my experience with dwarf angels isnt great but then my skills at that time werent tops either. they do require stable conditions, and some can be agressive as seen here with Hil.

they can be sucesptible to minor electric currents in the water from pumps etc. causing pop eye (this is what has been told to me by LFS as my CB copped popeye for a bit, it cleared on its own).

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
how much do you feed the fish? i keep my angels well fed and they dont pick. if i dont feed they will pick at anything..

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
OK, think I will accept it... It is not quite a real rogue yet as in ripping polyps off, it is just nip, then move on...

The one I want to remove first is of course the pepermint shrimps (yeah, it comes out while lights are on while feeding). It jumps on my acan and all of them polyps retract.... sad....

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi all,

After some research, most of the people say CB is semi-reef save, 80% safe.... So I bought this CB from a MASQ dude. Seriously as a MASA/MASQ member, they should, i think, be truthful as to what they sell. Sold me this CB for $30 and it is a rouge.....
Hi Hill,
Sorry to hear about your CB, yes I have read that they CAN be a pain in a reef tank, but I guess that all fish are individual. I have has CB in reef tanks before with no issues. I think that your research that the CB is "80% reef safe" should have alerted you to the fact that there is potential for this species to become an "issue" in a reef tank. The onus is on US to may informed decisions, and when WE mak errors in judgement, we cannot blame it on the occupants of our tank. After all, they are displaying behaviours that have evolved ofer 100,000's of years.

Lessons to be learned is to take the "Precautionary approach" - it is has potetnial to become an issue, don't introduce it! If we do introduce it, prepare for the consequence!

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
Good suggestion Matt. I have been feeding formula 2, but this CB is not fighting for it.... if it swims pass it will eat it, else just left it alone... Tried some mysis and the CB went nuts for it. Im just scared of polluting the water that's all.

I am adding NO3PO4x from RedSea, so far so good. I will Mysis and Freeze dried Cyclop Eeze to the mix tomorrow.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
After some research, most of the people say CB is semi-reef save, 80% safe.... So I bought this CB from a MASQ dude. Seriously as a MASA/MASQ member, they should, i think, be truthful as to what they sell. Sold me this CB for $30 and it is a rouge......

Hil
Hey Hil and a reply to this. fish will act differently in every system. i wouldnt class that as a "rouge" fish. in the wild they graze all day picking at rock looking for food, i dont think it is fair to blame the masa member as there arnt many angels are reef safe.

i hope it stops picking so much! goodluck with it mate

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
what other fish are you planing to put in it hil? get some more nice angels in there :cool: i love angels

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
I feed my tank daily. Formula 2, around 50-60 palettes, in 5 rounds. + Nori.

Seem to clean it all up with no issue. I have 2 clowns, yellow tang, blug tang, blenny, CB.

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
I have a Coral Beauty in my tank and it leaves all my Corals alone.

The only thing it does do is chase the Chromis when they start fighting amongst themselves

my cb is only territorial to my H.melanuras and my old fish that i don't have anymore damsels and chromis, i would say if you have damsels in your tank then get a cb.

Ross

Aug 31, 2011
I agree with the posts above that call for more food. I have recently had trouble with a flame angel that never caused a problem in the past.
I have increased the feeding with an auto feeder and the poor corals are starting to recover with less damage being caused by the angel.
HTH.
Just remember that if you feed more, the water quality will suffer and you'll need to increase efforts in that department.
It's all just a balancing act. Import of nutrients , increasing biomass of the tank and export of excess nutrients.
If you rush it I can assure you from personal experience that the system will overload and take longer to balance.

V

'vspec'

Like anything, individual temperaments apply. Try the above and report your findings bud