Tank Journal Archive

Nicks Temporary 5x2x2.5 Reef Tank.
Hey guys, took some quick iphone pics of my tank (had it for the last two months or so) and thought i might as well make a little tank journal to post them in.

This tank was VERY generously donated to me by my older brother who lives in Brisbane as he has just qualified in pest control and doesnt want to store all his chemicals anywhere near the tank, and unfortunately he lives in an apartment.

This tank has given me the opportunity to put my upgrade "on hold" until early next year so i can plan it out better and start buying all the equipment etc, also a bit more time to put a bit of cash away = Better equipment. For those wondering, i was approved an 8x3x2.5 tank but have decided to just go with a 6x3x2.5 tank done in "Peninsula/3 sides viewable" fashion. Unfortunately cant afford starfire glass.

But back to this tank:
Size: 5x2x2.5 LxWxH
Eurobraced & Crossbraced.
2 x 25mm holes to sump.
1 x 20mm return hole.
Lighting:
2 x 250W MH - Double Ended Bulbs.
4 x 4ft T5s and 2 x 6ft T5s - mixture of bulbs.
Will eventually upgrade to Dimmable LED Units; in preparation for the new tank.
Sump: 4ft, basic 3 section.
Return Pump: Not sure, approxamitely 4500Lph?
Chiller: Teco TR10 i think, will eventually upgrade to the Teco TC20 with inbuilt heater and UV for the new tank.
Heater: Jager 300W.
Skimmer: Reef Octopus, not sure which model it is, but its HUGE and about 3.5ft tall and has 2 pumps in it. Needless to say it sits behind the tank and doesnt have a chance of fitting in the cabinet.
Current Stocking List:
Angels:
1 x Lemonpeel Angel
1 x Flame Angel
1 x Coral Beauty
1 x Bicolour Angel
Tangs:
Sailfin - Red sea desjardin
Yellow tang (soon two have two more yellows)
Other:
1 x PAIR of Clownfish, assume they're just occelaris.
1 x PAIR of Pyjama Cardinalfish.
1 x Psychadelic Mandarin Dragonet.
1 x Lawnmower Blenny.
1 x Foxfaced Rabbitfish.
1 x Engineer Goby.
Clean up crew of hermits/snails etc.
1 x Blue linckia star.
1 x Other little star.
LOTS Of Assorted Corals.
On order: (Should be here in a week or so)
Cleaner wrasse pair.
Large pink birdsnest coral.
Clam.
Pics will be in the next post; Photobucket is painfully slow.
All thoughts appreciated :)
Nick

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0952.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0946.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0942.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0940.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0926.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0937.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0932.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0930.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0928.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0926.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0924.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0920.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0918.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv31_NickH747_Temporary_20Tank_IMG_0915.jpg

Sorry theres so many! Was just testing my moms Iphone4 camera.

Pretty decent considering the fish were swimming around like lightening (i had just fed them) haha, allthough all the corals are alot more colourful in real life, much more green, and i only have 1 x 4ft actinic bulb, the rest are just like "daylight" bulbs.
I was also trying to capture the size of that catalaphylia colony, its huge!
All thougths, comments appreciated :)

Attachments

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi Nick

Nice looking cat you have there and overall a great looking tank.

Do you have any trouble with fish getting sucked down those upturned outlet pipes? Do they provide much surface skimming?

Actually i have never had anything go down there, not even my little lawnmower blenny (i have 2 lawnmowers in this tank) or clownfish etc.
Apparantly a little lunar wrasse went down one before my brother gave it to me.
My next tank is going to have an external overflow and acrylic comb, but this system works fine too, i just want a "cleaner" look in the display.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i have a overflow comb over my weir and i still manage to get fish going over there. in saying that my comb is alot of larger gaps so smaller or skinny fish can fit through it. it allways seems to be my cleaner wrasse going over the top

Attachments

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Looks good Nick - love that bicolour angel - i have one too. I think they are such a good looking fish - really nice deep colours. Have you had any issues with him picking at corals?

No i havent had any issues with coral picking from any of the angels, in saying that i previously had a bi-colour in my old tank who picked at everything and was so aggresive i had to get rid of it. I swore i would neve rhave another one, but this one came with the tank and is a perfect citizen :)

Thanks everyone :)

Darren: Haha we just chatted on Masa. You can PM me there or here, whatever suits you, with the total for the clam, cleaner wrasse pair and pink birdsnest as well as shipping, and i will need your bank details. You dont have paypal do you? :)

Snik66: The 2ft cube?
Its made by Haiyang originally (Mine is a properly badged Haiyang/Haiyung HY-60), but ive seen them in the uk called a betta lifespace 680 (i think) and the square cornered ones re-badged as aquanova in australia on ebay.
If you maesure your tank its easy to work out the literage.

Yeah haha, after reading your earlier comment about the cleaner wrasse and over flows, im getting some grid things to cover my overflows just in case.
Darren picked the clam haha, a maxima :) I dont even know what it looks like, i jsut asked for the cheapest clam he had, once im competent in my clam care, dosing etc i will look into nicer specimens.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
my clams looking great. they arnt as hard to look after as you would think ;)
whens the birdsnest coming?