Reef Discussion

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Newest Member to the Mantis Crew!
Hello all =)

Today I received a phone call from a collector that had been out hunting a mated pair of L.mac's for me (for a hefty price mind you :D) as soon as I knew who he was on the phone (I was at work) my heart instantly started pounding! He told me that the L.mac they had captured in the wild just 2days before hand was being shipped up to me and would arrive this evening at the air port awaiting pickup.

So sure enough when it arrived I was there waiting, after getting the carton home and opening the box it was settling to see a nice phat healthy "zebra" mantis swimming inside a plastic container with holes in it, the packaging was exceptional. I had to get the "zebra" out of the rigid plastic container it was in so I could identify its species better along with sex it and acclimatize it.... I knew instantly from the eyes staring up at me that this time the mantis was indeed a Lysiosquillina Maculata and not the very similar looking L.sulcata.

To add to my excitement it is indeed a HE/MALE therefor he shall make a fine display animal having the larger eyes, larger 'weapons' and the more prominent/deep colors. Also he is quite big...being between 250mm-300mm easily which makes him quite larger then Morgoth...I have partitioned the tank off as best I can however this new L.mac has gone RITE for the weak point where I believe he may be able to dig under.... time will tell.

Now for a name....

aimg72.imageshack.us_img72_3329_newmantis.png

More pics and vids to come!