New To Reefing

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Says the guy from the country that calls 1 fish a Footballer and another Old Wife. Da big Yank can play that game too. :D

Definitely watch the names, even here on the east coast of the USA you can go 50 miles and a fish be called something else. The common Alewife is one, it's called Bunker, Menhaden and Threadback herring depending on where you are. It's a pisser if you're looking to buy some for bait because they'll look at you like you have a third eye in the middle of your forehead. When in doubt, ask us, we'll be more than happy to answer.

Plate corals are pretty resilient corals for beginners.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Don't be sorry :)

I like Live Aquaria for information but we need to be careful with some of the common names the yanks come up with - I am sure you would agree @ReeferRob :D
Says the guy from the country that calls 1 fish a Footballer and another Old Wife. Da big Yank can play that game too. :D

Definitely watch the names, even here on the east coast of the USA you can go 50 miles and a fish be called something else. The common Alewife is one, it's called Bunker, Menhaden and Threadback herring depending on where you are. It's a pisser if you're looking to buy some for bait because they'll look at you like you have a third eye in the middle of your forehead. When in doubt, ask us, we'll be more than happy to answer.

Plate corals are pretty resilient corals for beginners.
Thank you @ReeferRob.

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions coming soon!

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
The one that you posted is a fungia plate like Magic said, I got a bright orange one pretty early on in mine, about 4 years in now but took a year and a half to get into corals.

It's pretty solid mine went through a rough patch but is coming back now, seems to prefer pretty low flow so if you've got a lot of water movement that might be tricky to keep

I had a xenia as well but that just faded away into nothing and I've no idea what happened, my longest surviving stuff at the moment is my hammer coral, I've since bought 2 more hammers and another torch and they're all going well so your idea of frogspawn for a starter is a pretty good idea it's in the same family as the hammers

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
@Adam_w, if your Xenia melted it's most likely due to low alkalinity. Xenia ships horribly because it soaks up alkalinity at a rapid pace. I use it in one system for filtration, it also soaks up phosphates and nitrates. I can't keep it if the alkalinity drops below 7.5.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
@Adam_w, if your Xenia melted it's most likely due to low alkalinity. Xenia ships horribly because it soaks up alkalinity at a rapid pace. I use it in one system for filtration, it also soaks up phosphates and nitrates. I can't keep it if the alkalinity drops below 7.5.
That could be where all my alk goes :P

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
I chose a hammer and so far it looks happy and vibrant. Unfortunately I now have an onset of green hair algae so dosing with continuum phos.correx.
Phosphate is at 0.02ppm using the Red Sea test kit atm so will continue with the water changes and hope for the best .

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
You will generally find the GHA is inevitable in most tanks at some stage - keep up with the water changes and keep your nitrates and phosphates under control and you will get on top of it.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
You will generally find the GHA is inevitable in most tanks at some stage - keep up with the water changes and keep your nitrates and phosphates under control and you will get on top of it.
Thank you @MagicJ, will def keep up the wc, this stuff is unsightly.