Reef Discussion

Azza.12

Aug 26, 2012
Brisbane
New Year, New Tank (again)
So I posted here two and a bit years ago bright eyed and bushy tailed ready to dive back into reefing. Having just moved into a new house I was keen to start my dream tank. Unfortunately, a quick chat with the engineers revealed insufficient support for the 8’ I was hoping for, and I thought I’d stop short of adding a steel bar to the house.

ANYWAY, after seeing my first tank my dear mother has decided she wants one. So obviously I pounced. I shut down my first tank about 4 years ago, and a lot has changed since then, so wanted to get some thoughts on the new build before we commit.

The tank will be a Red Sea Reefer 250, and mixed reef largely LPS/softie dominant. She’s 71, so I’m keen for minimise routine maintenance for her, but wish to stay within a reasonable budget, which I think I’ve pushed to around the $6000 mark. Things like the roller mat and AWC system are, in my mind, essentials for her to enjoy the tank and not have to fiddle too much.

Thus far I have...
- Red Sea Reefer 250
- 2 x Gen 1 Radions (from my old build, bought an upgrade to Gen 3)
- 2 x Radion Hanging Kit
- 1 x MP40WQD (can’t find my old one! :( )
- Octo Essence 130 Protein Skimmer
- Teco 500 chiller
- Reefpure RO Essentials+
- Octo AQ 3000
- 2 x Maxspect Bioblock
- Clarisea SK-3000 Roller Mat
- Old Kamoer 3 x dosing pump from my old build

All of this is coming in at around $6130 from my LFS. I had wanted to try something new and setup a carbon reactor (Torq Base + 0.75 reactor = $259), refugium (AI Fuge Light + Mount = $349), and a DC return pump (Octo Varios 2 = $340), but I think this will just push the budget too far. I might stick with her carbon dosing and living without the niceties of a DC return pump and carbon reactor.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on the setup, and see if I’m effectively using the money I have to play with. Any and all thoughts most appreciated.

Cheers,
Azza.