News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
New Project - Sneak Peek
Hello everyone,

As some of you may know I have been working on a new project that is non-reef related. Given that this community is tight and close I would like to share with you some of the projects features and why it exists.

As I don't want Google or other search engines to list the site yet, I will not be naming it, but a link will be provided for you all to take a look. If you reply to this thread, please do not name the site or link to it.

Site:
The site allows Australians (focused, but anyone can use it) to access services such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, BBC and more. Currently, due to greed, Australia is missing out on a lot of really cool services. This site wants to do its part to put a stop to that.

Unfortunately, the big players here enjoy a monopoly on content. This leaves Australians with very few choices (one) to access the shows and movies they would like to watch. Many have opted instead to pirate content. Big companies are now trying to destroy the very thing that gives us the last bit of true freedom we have left - the Internet.

I am still really, really, really pissed off about what this government has done with the NBN. We were set to have a national broadband network and instead are getting fraudband.

So, using currently non-illegal methods we can gain access to content that is either free, or available at a very low price. For example, you can gain access to around 100,000 movies and tv shows on Netflix for around $8USD per month. On demand.

Technology:
Usually VPN's are the way to bypass content blocks. This is great, but unfortunately due to the way VPN's work it is very slow and buffering becomes an issue. However, this project uses a technology known as smartDNS. Basically the location of your computer/device is tricking the blocker on its initial run. Once the connection is made, the video stream is sent directly to your computer/device. This means it can push the connection your internet speed can go to.

Is it legal?
It is neither legal nor illegal. There are no laws against it. For more information, please read this article.

Reefuge VIP members:
All Reefuge VIP members currently have a VIP card. On this card, you have a unique code. You can use this code on the new project. Using this code will give you life-time 15% off the service.

Please click here to view the site.

I am happy for you all to ask questions, make suggestions, request websites and services to unblock and anything else that comes to mind.

Thanks.

Last edited:

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Awesome! I currently use another DNS service that I have been very happy with. Would love to switch to yours and support this service as it will fight against the BS $100+ a month that people pay currently for similar services. And don't get me started on the fraud band network run by B1 and B2.

I had a look at the site - will the service support blu-ray players? (Couldn't find the setup instructions for them)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Awesome! I currently use another DNS service that I have been very happy with. Would love to switch to yours and support this service as it will fight against the BS $100+ a month that people pay currently for similar services. And don't get me started on the fraud band network run by B1 and B2.

I had a look at the site - will the service support blu-ray players? (Couldn't find the setup instructions for them)
Hello @holly,

Firstly, yes, it should be able to support most devices (it will be impossible to create walk-though tutorials for all devices).

Secondly, do not leave your current DNS provider to support us. I really value and appreciate the kind gesture, however it is important that all DNS providers are supported. The more around, the better.

Thanks.

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
I currently have Netflix and Hulu through a different provider and extremely happy with it.. Much cheaper and better off then the alternative television options in Australia.. Morally I have no issue paying for this service as I don't believe what you are doing is illegal it's much better then illegally downloading and you can watch on demand.. I would be interested in the service to see how it compares to my current provider.. My current provider is an overseas service would be nice to make it an Australian service..

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I currently have Netflix and Hulu through a different provider and extremely happy with it.. Much cheaper and better off then the alternative television options in Australia.. Morally I have no issue paying for this service as I don't believe what you are doing is illegal it's much better then illegally downloading and you can watch on demand.. I would be interested in the service to see how it compares to my current provider.. My current provider is an overseas service would be nice to make it an Australian service..
Hi @Str8edge

It will be likely that your overseas provider will at first be able to have more regions than us. This is because I don't really want to go out and rent another 15 - 20 servers. Once we start getting more members and it becomes affordable to us to get more servers, new regions will be added.

The main key point at the moment is that our service will have local DNS servers, not overseas servers. This should increase your browsing speed as opposed to overseas DNS.

The focus is on Netflix and Hulu unblocking at the moment. However, we will also start supporting foreign channels in Europe so people don't need to pay the outrageous prices they are forced to pay here.

Thanks.

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
Nice work!

This issue drives me nuts.

*being rant*

The studios mess consumers around with geoblocking, make them pay for legally grey workarounds (like this) to get the same content as the rest of the world while simultaneously complaining about it, and the consumer puts up with all of it, to pay them money.
What kind of businesses model is that?

For the price of a basic Foxtel subscription in AU you can get: Nextflix, Hulu, : HBO Go and a few sports channels (MLB, NBA, etc) in the US and still have change left over for popcorn and soft drink!

Even with streaming services they cannot get it right and keep signing more exclusivity deals to force consumers to use a plethora of different steaming platforms for every single program they want to watch (Foxtel go for game of thrones anyone?)

No wonder the MPAA is making so much noise about programs like Popcorn Time but there is this thing called the internet now and if they do not want to want to make is easy for their customers access content on it someone else will.

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. ” ― Stephen Hawking

“The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.”―Albert Einstein

*end of rant*

For the record I am strictly against IP theft of all kinds

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Nice work!

This issue drives me nuts.

*being rant*

The studios mess consumers around with geoblocking, make them pay for legally grey workarounds (like this) to get the same content as the rest of the world while simultaneously complaining about it, and the consumer puts up with all of it, to pay them money.
What kind of businesses model is that?

For the price of a basic Foxtel subscription in AU you can get: Nextflix, Hulu, : HBO Go and a few sports channels (MLB, NBA, etc) in the US and still have change left over for popcorn and soft drink!

Even with streaming services they cannot get it right and keep signing more exclusivity deals to force consumers to use a plethora of different steaming platforms for every single program they want to watch (Foxtel go for game of thrones anyone?)

No wonder the MPAA is making so much noise about programs like Popcorn Time but there is this thing called the internet now and if they do not want to want to make is easy for their customers access content on it someone else will.

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. ” ― Stephen Hawking

“The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.”―Albert Einstein

*end of rant*

For the record I am strictly against IP theft of all kinds
Exactly.

Ben S

Apr 9, 2013
Point Cook
Very nice. As a Pom in Oz, I rely on another smartDNS service to allow me access to my netflix, bbc iplayer etc. Due to this I've never even bothered to get a aerial fitted to let me watch freeview channels. :)

Happy to test this out. I assume it will work with AppleTV etc?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

The project in now ready for some alpha testers. This is not in beta stage at the moment and there will be many bugs to try and find.

Those of you who would be interested in helping to test the service with different devices and different channels please PM me.

Thanks.