New To Reefing

May 27, 2016
New Nano 65l Tank
hi, so got a new tank Monday, live rock in next day once water was to temperature.
Few thing I'm unsure of, the tank has a skimmer and 3 chambers and a return pump. Whitch is all underwater in the back of the nano in like its own chambers. So first question is where does the fresh oxygen enter the tank if it's all under water apart from the skimmer pump? Second question I here all these things about calcium and magnesium where does that come from? The water I put in?
Third is Is the tests kits only come with like 4 nitrate, nirate, ph and ammonia. So I need to test those 4 things so see if my tank has cycled. But what do I do if things are to high or to low. Does water changes put calcium back in the water there's so many things on the internet that seem to conflict on each other.! Any help with this would be very much appreciated

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
First of all welcome to the Reefuge.
Next, take things slowly.
I take it you're using ASW (artificial salt water that you're either mixing yourself or buying from a LFS).
Just let the tank cycle through for a few weeks, the live rock will get the process started nicely.
Don't even think about adding any additives yet. All you will be testing is firstly ammonia which will increase and then as it starts to decrease nitrites will rise. Then as they decrease your nitrates will increase then decrease as your tank starts to complete the cycle.
When you get to this point then we can advise you as to your next step.
Lastly, NO fish yet.
Keep posting!!!!
Cheers mate

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
So first question is where does the fresh oxygen enter the tank if it's all under water apart from the skimmer pump?
Second question I here all these things about calcium and magnesium where does that come from?
The water I put in?
Third is Is the tests kits only come with like 4 nitrate, nirate, ph and ammonia. So I need to test those 4 things so see if my tank has cycled. But what do I do if things are to high or to low. Does water changes put calcium back in the water there's so many things on the internet that seem to conflict on each other.! Any help with this would be very much appreciated
Hi Nathan :welcome

Golden rule in reefing: Nothing good happens fast!
Slow and steady will win the race here :)

Assuming you have an AIO (from your description) with an overflow of some sort? The overflow will break the surface introducing/causing oxygenation. Also somewhat from your skimmer.
What are you doing for flow in the tank? AIO's return only? Or do you have a powerhead/pump etc to help move the water and break the surface?

Calc & mag etc are trace elements in the salty stuff (among others), and are replaced when doing water changes. But you need to calculate how much your corals etc will be using and test and monitor them respectively. One of 'Randys recipe' may be handy for you here. You can go so far as to get dosing pumps etc to handle this once stable and calculated correctly.

P04, N04 etc do need testing. If too high, youll need to figure out the cause and eliminate, or if not at least manage the cause until back to the desired level.
Get a decent test kit though! The Aqua One kits may be OK during the cycle period, but once you introduce a bioload and corals etc, your going to need better kit (Salifert, Red Sea, Nyos etc).

I until recently had a 50L nano with a pretty heavy bioload and in its prime loaded up with coral. I managed quiet well with frequent water changes only.
My maintenance was pretty high though as a result of this and admittedly could have been made easier by dosing. But i didn't mind the work and it taught me to monitor by eye fairly well (read: i could tell by eye if something was off in the tank, i still tested, just not every other day).

Youll find many knowledgeable minds on here (far better than my novice one!) who are happy to help :)

Ed: Oh, and what Dave said!! :D

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
:welcome
All good advice so far :)
Have a read through this article about saltwater parameters if you'd like or just keep the table handy so you know what you're aiming for:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Also as the reefing community is LOVING the Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) 52 Weeks of Reefing at the moment, here's the video on cycling a tank for you :) in nice simple terms it explains the process!

On top of that, I would highly recommend watching through the entire series as it gives a great deal of insight in marine aquaria and is very approachable :)

May 27, 2016
Thank you for the replies I'll do what you say and leave the tank alone let it cycle.
I'll get some test kits later today. The water is from the store already mixed. I have it in a water container also I have another container with just RO water in cause my tank seems to evaporate pretty quick. How long does the salt water last in the containers for?

Ive pointed the return pump valve slightly up so it makes the water surface ripple but doesn't splash or anything so hope oxygen gets in the that way? In way of over flow there is a section on the right back where the skimmer is that has holes in I guess that's how the water gets in to the filters and but to be honest I think it gets in to the back part of the tank from all angles..

The problem I have with the tank st the moment is the surface of the water has like a oil substance to it with tiny white specs in? And the water is self is clear but there is debris flying about not loads but enough to notice. The skimmer just seems to collect slightly murkey water, so I guess it takes a few weeks for the water surface to clear?

May 27, 2016
That's the best I got at the moment. Untill get home I'll try and get closers ones of the back compartment. It's a ocean free nano 63l marine tank

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Your salt water will keep indefinitely, just make sure the cap or whatever on your drum is open a bit so it can breath.
It sounds like your surface flow needs to be directed towards your vents a bit more.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Nice, i like the central bommie.

That cloudiness should clear in a few days i would expect (filtration dependent).

You could run a small bag of carbon if you want to 'polish' the water a bit in the meantime ")