Reef Discussion

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
New Fish Choice
Unfortunately, I am going to give in an get another fish.

What of the following fish do you think would be best suited to a 75 gallon or so tank housing a Yellow Tang, Twin Spot Tang, Coral Beauty, pair Ocellaris Clowns, and an Afelei's fringefin goby:

Fu Manchu Lionfish
Comet
Regal Angelfish

and also

Orchid Dottyback

I am a bit concerned the first two might eat my clowns.

I might remove the Twin Spot Tang to keep bioload down.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If it were me, either the Regal or the Comet. The Comet shouldn't bother the clowns, if you have shrimp, then I'd worry about those as they're the prime food of Comets in the wild. I'd never put a Dottyback in a reef again.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Thanks Rob,

Have you had that bad experiences with Dottyback that you wouldn't keep one again in a reef tank?

From what I have read, the Orchid's not meant to be as bad as other Dottybacks.

I've read mixed comments about the Regal Angel, which have put me off getting one. I don't mind if they eat a little coral here and there, but hopefully it wouldn't eat my Trachy...

The Comet appears to be the pick, but I have had the clowns for a few years now so would love to hear any views from people who have kept the two together.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I've never had an issue with Comets doing anything but hiding. If your clowns are hosting an anemone, they're good.

Regals are more of a sponge grazer. I have a friend that has an Emporer that tried to kill his $400 red carpet anemone so I got the Emporer. Do be advised, ALL angels have the propensity to eat corals and sponges, large or dwarf.

Dottybacks are the nastiest little shits under the sun!! I brought a pair home with me after Desert Storm and I regretted it from the time I put them in the tank. I've had most of them and they're all shits. Some may be worse than others, but I'm not having drama in my tanks if I can avoid it, lol. The worst was the flavivertix I brought home with me, those 2 were EVIL incarnate.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I love my Orchid Dottyback :)

@ReeferRob , I agree with your sentiment regarding most dottybacks, but I have never had a problem with an Orchid. A lot of the ones available in Australia are now captive bred so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. But, I would recommend that you only have one.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I don't see why not, just collect small ones as I don't know how they'll fare in warmer waters. Keep them submerged as much as possible, put them in a bag underwater for transport. When sponges go downhill, they do it very fast. It goes without saying to make sure where you're collecting is legal, I don't want you to get banged up by the marine police.

I know Mike Paletta has always had a Regal in his reef tanks, I need to see where his is from. You can tell by the colour.

MajicJ, it might very well be because they're captive bred. If it's not broken, don't fix it.