New To Reefing

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
New But Old.
Hi all I haven't had a marine tank in about 3 years.
I was lucky enough to pick up a red sea max 250 for cheap so here I am.

I was looking for advice on setting up the skimmer hoses properly.

Was also looking to see if anyone is selling some dried rock or live rock cheap. Want about 15kg.
P.s I'm in south east Victoria (cranbourne)

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
welcome back to this great hobby! What skimmer do you have for the 250, the stock one? Shouldn't be any hoses to it from memory? Got any pics?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
ok cool - looks like it is using the cup as a type of silencer. I'd say the two hoses will probably join together, possibly at that screw part to give you some control over it. Hopefully someone with a stock red sea skimmer can chime in though.

Tank is cranking bud! Doing real well :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
One word of advice mate, dump that whole skimmer in white vinegar and RO water overnight to clean it. It's much better to start with it nice and clean from the get go. Learned that the hard way on the wife's 130D. I was about to have a stroke trying to get it set up.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
One word of advice mate, dump that whole skimmer in white vinegar and RO water overnight to clean it. It's much better to start with it nice and clean from the get go. Learned that the hard way on the wife's 130D. I was about to have a stroke trying to get it set up.
Ill try that. I haven't turned it on yet as I know there isn't any bio load

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What issues were you having with the 130d skimmer. ??did you run the skimmer in water/vinegar mix or just let soak.
It was a mess when we got it. The venturis are a problem with these skimmers as you'll soon find out. They clog if you rune them longer than 2 months so I pulled mine down every 6 weeks and gave it a vinegar bath to keep it running in tip top shape.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Y
It was a mess when we got it. The venturis are a problem with these skimmers as you'll soon find out. They clog if you rune them longer than 2 months so I pulled mine down every 6 weeks and gave it a vinegar bath to keep it running in tip top shape.
Yer I gave vinegar bath and now tanks cycled its running like a dream. Pumps a tad loud but not sure if can upgrade pump due to the connection with skimmer

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Y

Yer I gave vinegar bath and now tanks cycled its running like a dream. Pumps a tad loud but not sure if can upgrade pump due to the connection with skimmer
Check the connection between the pump and the skimmer body, if it's loose, it will make a hell of a racket.