Reef Discussion

winnydapoo

Apr 19, 2012
Need id urgently
Hi folks,

Just discovered this thing in my tank, not sure what it is if it's forces of evil or good?

ai376.photobucket.com_albums_oo204_winnydapoo_20130523_205209_zpsd14d3f80.jpg

Thoughts? I have it isolated in a a container at the moment. It's 12 to15 cm long I reckon...

winnydapoo

Apr 19, 2012
If it helps it seems nocturnal, I discovered it after lights out for an hour or two, and have never seen it before in about a year of having this tank running.

winnydapoo

Apr 19, 2012
Googled them, and yeah, it's mouth looks exactly like that. All feathery kind of. Probably fairly safe then?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Keeping cucumbers seems to be a personal thing - some see them as potential nukes waiting to go off, others see them as valuable CUC. Do a bit of reading and make up your own mind ...

Personally I have a couple that came as hitchhikers, only small (maybe 2-4cm), but I really like them and they have certainly done no harm so far.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
What nasty effects can they have on the tank?
I keep sea cucumbers in all my tanks.

There are lots of horror stories about sea cucumbers and they're probably true BUT I have never met any one who has personally had a problem with them, NOR have I ever met anyone who even personally knew anyone that had a problem. I ask all LFS that I visit about them too and I'm yet to even find an LFS that knows of anyone that actually had the problem.

To me this suggests that the problem is real but rare, just blown up out of proportion. I have had as many as 4 different species of cuke in a tank, I've picked them up and they've released mucous but it caused no problems. I've had more issues with anemone and we keep those.

They're good sandbed cleaners. They ingest the sand and deposit little pellets of cleaned sand from their bum.:eek

Go Barry & The Dancing Pooh Pellets
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_banana.gif

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have a few of the little purple and red hitchhiker cucumbers and haven't had any problems. I've even had one set up camp on my tunze 6105 intake grill.