Tank Journal Archive

Cryxblade

Dec 17, 2011
Gailes, Brisbane
Well I took some water to my LFS and they got 0 across the board on all their tests. They tested it using the API and Aquasonic kits. Their suggestion was to bump up the PH a little as it was sitting on 8

On the other hand the brown algea across the substrate has almost vanished over night. The filter wool in the weir is working over time as an aglea scrubber. I had to replace the wool last night as it was brown all the way through. The copepods seem to have had a field day on the algea against the walls. Will see how things go this week.

Reactions: MTG

Cryxblade

Dec 17, 2011
Gailes, Brisbane
Well I finally got some stuff in my tank this evening. The new contents for my tank are
4 x Juvenile Occi clowns
1 x Mini-Hermit
4 X Turbo snails
1 x Annoying Hermit crab from my Pico

I also decided to frag my sun coral as well. It was getting to be a pain trying to protect some of the polyps from the substrate.

The small chucnks are in my Pico while the rest went into the tank.

Everyone bagged up and waiting
ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_IMG_7271.jpg

ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_IMG_7274.jpg

Snails on the loose
ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_IMG_7322.jpg

Have yet to apply the names to these guys but so far we have SharkBait, Chum, Sushi and Chowder
ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_IMG_7311.jpg

My concern is that Colossus will trash the tank as he's done in my Pico. Might need to get some putty to hold the rocks in place if that happens
ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_IMG_7305.jpg

The mini-hermit and my sun coral
ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_IMG_7304.jpg

Full tank with the lights off while everyone settles
ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_IMG_7318.jpg

I also put one snail in the refuge to help with algae control in there as well
ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_IMG_7306.jpg

Well the clowns have settled in nicely and the sun coral loves it's new home. It tends to be out almost all the time. The clowns have figured when it's feeding time and the smallest guy almost jumps out of the water when he sees me with dropper I use for feeding.

I'd ordered some cheap wave makers from ebay and they arrived today. They're rated to about 3000l/p. The height of the water is just right so I can connect them to the centre brace. Now just a matter of finding the right angle to get the best flow from them. Got each pointing in different directions which has blown a lot of gunk off the rocks that I hadn't noticed. I'm hoping the clowns don't try and have a closer look but they shouldn't get caught up in them. Not sure if I'll use both in the tank at the moment. See what happens over the next few days.

ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_001_2.jpg

ai1043.photobucket.com_albums_b438_Blade_Oz_Marine_20Tank_202012_006_1.jpg

Cryxblade

Dec 17, 2011
Gailes, Brisbane
Added a few new members to the tank today. 3 more mini-hermits to help with some of the algae blooms and a Bi-color Blenny who is currently hiding. Soon as he's made himself at home I'm sure he'll pop and I'll be able to get some snap shots of him.

My next purchase for the tank will be a Golden Headed Sleeper to maintain the substrate.

I'm also considering a sea horse to go into the refuge side to help liven that space up. The Macro in there is doing well and resembles a jungle at the moment. The flow in there is just enough to keep the water moving but not blowing around like in the main tank.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Please don't get a sleeper goby - your tank is to small and they'll end up dead for sure. There are other options out there but sleeper gobies will
1) end up starving
2) mess up your tank - they grab a mouthful, swim up and then filter.
3) did I mention they will end up starving?

Please research carefully and reconsider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the warnings. Would have responded sooner but my newest son was born last week and that always throws things into the air time wise.

I was doing more reading on the Sleepers when I noticed something the other day. The Blenny has practically cleaned most of the tank by himself in a week. So the Sleeper is a no grab that's for sure. Apart from some substrate patches the Blenny has cleaned most of the rocks, tubing and walls of the tank down to a minimal coverage. It's funny to watch him darting around the tank and joining the clowns when they go swimming against the water flows in the tank. He also darts out and grabs food when I feed the clowns and he loves chasing live brine shrimp when I have some to drop in the tank.