Reef Discussion

tyson001

Aug 21, 2013
Nassarius Snails
are we able to get Nassarius Snails in aus? also were is a good place to get inverts.

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Hi Tyson :)
A BUNCH of Aquariums sell them :) I saw a lot of them most recently at Bunarong (Frankston) - but if you call your local ones first, they'll be able to confirm whether or not they have stock :)
As to the inverts - they're available everywhere.
What are you chasing in particular?

tyson001

Aug 21, 2013
that's good to hear i'm trying to get some inverts for detritus clean up that's why i am trying to get some nassrius snails. was also thinking of a fighting conch.

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
@Dr Schell will be able to post them to your door for $5 a snail from memory.
@Dr. Schell ;)
He added a "full stop" just to confuse us all lol

@tyson001 - "Fighting Conches" are more commonly called Strombus snails around the traps, and again, they're readily available at most LFSs :) Just give them a call before you go! I know that Reeflections (Moorabbin) had plenty in last time we were there, and also Coburg Aquarium (Coburg).

And like @Sarg said, on occasion some of the members on here have tank-bred Nassarius snails available :) ie, The good Doc!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
@Dr. Schell ;)
He added a "full stop" just to confuse us all lol

@tyson001 - "Fighting Conches" are more commonly called Strombus snails around the traps, and again, they're readily available at most LFSs :) Just give them a call before you go! I know that Reeflections (Moorabbin) had plenty in last time we were there, and also Coburg Aquarium (Coburg).

And like @Sarg said, on occasion some of the members on here have tank-bred Nassarius snails available :) ie, The good Doc!
Many of the inverts are captive bred, In the past, I have bred and raised Peppermint shrimp, and currently breed and raise Nassarius snails (carnivorous scavenger that stirs the sand bed) , turbo snails (herbivore that sticks to the rocks and glass), Stromatella snails (herbivore that looks like a miniature abalone with a long tail that lives in the love rock) and dove snails (micro herbivores for the nanno tank). However some species (ie the Strombus) readily lay eggs in the substrate of the aquarium (providing you have an animal of each sex - sexes are separate in these molluscs) however their larvae are exceptionally difficult to rear though the juvenile (pelagic) phase. Thus to my knowledge, all of the Strombus currently sold in Australia are wild caught.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
are we able to get Nassarius Snails in aus? also were is a good place to get inverts.
I got some nassarius from the doc and they're still going well. Just a tip though (& opinions vary) but I find it a good idea to target feed them with some meaty foods weekly. I do this by skewering a bit of prawn etc into the substrate. It works well to do a census too because they all head for it. So far I haven't had any breed :(

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I got some nassarius from the doc and they're still going well. Just a tip though (& opinions vary) but I find it a good idea to target feed them with some meaty foods weekly. I do this by skewering a bit of prawn etc into the substrate. It works well to do a census too because they all head for it. So far I haven't had any breed :(
strange that they have not bred for you, I am currently raising batches of young that are currently only 5-10mm long. They look identical to the dove snails except that they have two 'tails' at the end of their food. They grow relatively quickly and are only active at night.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
A
strange that they have not bred for you, I am currently raising batches of young that are currently only 5-10mm long. They look identical to the dove snails except that they have two 'tails' at the end of their food. They grow relatively quickly and are only active at night.
Do you breed them in a dedicated tank? Perhaps conditions in my DT are not right (although they do appear to mate) or something is consuming eggs.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
A

Do you breed them in a dedicated tank? Perhaps conditions in my DT are not right (although they do appear to mate) or something is consuming eggs.
they breed of their own accord in my display tank. They lay their eggs in the glass at the surface of the substrate. Small batch of 4 to 5 eggs enclosed in as single Jelly sack. Eggs hatch into minature adults and grow relatively quickly. I generlaly don't notice the juveniles, or pass them off as young Dove snails until they reach about 4mm when the 'double tail' becomes prominant. They apear to be more moble than the adults and will often climb the glass at night.